Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win7 - Nmsrvc.exe

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 hYlAnDeR~TFC

hYlAnDeR~TFC

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:43 PM

Posted 17 May 2012 - 09:13 PM

Forum Moderator "boopme" from the Security/Am I Infected forum directed me to post this problem to your forum for help. Below is the referenced thread /log we were working on.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic453659.html/page__p__2699213__fromsearch__1#entry2699213

I am still having serious issues regarding the performance of my computer, internet connectivity issues, IE is totally broke and does not work and a list of other issues and problems that you will find in the above thread from the Security Forum. All the various behaviors present on my computer indicate to me that I may be infected. However, I have been told now that the solution has to do with the Win7 "Nmsrvc.exe" / Network Magic Service file and/or program.

So, If you guys can help me out, I could really use it.

Thanks!
hYlAnDeR~TFC~
[OF/FA] Orion Faction-Retired
Game Squad Fleet Admiral~Retired

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:43 AM

Posted 18 May 2012 - 05:11 AM

Hello -
3 options if you wish to use them -

http://www.ehow.com/how_7147440_delete-network-magic-upgrade-startup.html << Delete Network Magic -

http://www.ehow.com/how_5974407_block-network-magic.html << Block Network Magic

How to Remove Network Magic

#3 hYlAnDeR~TFC

hYlAnDeR~TFC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2012 - 07:55 AM

I wish to remove this program. I downloaded and installed the revo uninstaller. Per the webpage instructions on how to remove, I opened up my taks manager and there is nothing in there regarding any magic or pure. Next, I opened up the revo program, and there is no Network Magic or Pure Networks program on the list to uninstall.?

I have to get going to work now. So, whatever instructions you provide me next, I will have to work on it when I get home tonight.

Thank you for your help.
hYlAnDeR~TFC~

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,307 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 PM

Posted 18 May 2012 - 08:33 AM

The linksys Easy Link Advisor could be the source of the nmsrvc.exe problem.
It shows up in your list of programs, too.
Why I say that is because of what I read here: nmsrvc.exe Application Error - Microsoft Answers
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 hYlAnDeR~TFC

hYlAnDeR~TFC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2012 - 01:07 PM

Do you recommend that I remove the Linksys Easy link advisor from the list of programs in the Revo? Or, is there any way to get to where I need to go to these network Magic related files and/or program in order to delete or unstiall them preferrably? Based on the information on the link you provided, it appears that the problem with these files and having to reinstall the Cicco/Linksys software does not really help to solve the problem.

In the Security thread above, when searching for these files, they were located here:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Pure Networks Shar... ( I think this is the one you are referring to?)

There are a bunch of logfile.nmsrvc_exe_1 files in C:\ProgramData\Pure Networks\Log

There are also a bunch of AppCrash_nmsrvc.exe_b3277..... files located at C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportQueue

There is an Nmsrvc file in C:\Users|William\Recent

I don't know how to access these from Revo or from control panel/remove program windows.

Is it your estimation that this program, or its affiliated files, are the primary issue that is causing all the problems to my computer?

I am only able to access this forum from remote location at work. But, whatever instructions you provide me to do next, I will jump on it as soon as I can when I get home tonight!

Thanks for your help

Edited by hYlAnDeR~TFC, 18 May 2012 - 01:44 PM.

hYlAnDeR~TFC~

#6 hYlAnDeR~TFC

hYlAnDeR~TFC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2012 - 03:01 PM

Ok,

I just got home early today.

I opened the Revo program again because I wanted to see if I could find some way to get to the Network Magic Service or Pure Networks, and I discovered a file that I downloaded last Satuday that I did download to assist with fixing an issue with my original problem when Win7 update got stuck. I can't recall the name of the file/program, but it was some sort of System Update Rediness Tool I downloaded and then deleted it because I wanted to get assistance here instead. Anyways, I went ahead and used the Revo to uninstall this program and rebooted. When I rebooted, my zone alarm popped up once at the desktop and went through a couple warning signs about acrobat reader, and another program trying to access the network, of which I allowed as safe. Then, the "Pure Networks" service warning popped up and I declined access to this and then my computer completed its normal bootup very quickly without any hesitation and I had virtually instantaneous internet access. Additionally, I am at this moment blogging on IE, so now my IE appears to be back on line.

However, per my above post. There are evidently still traces of the nmsrvc_exe files and other affiliated files regarding both Network Magic Service and Pure Networks on my systemj,of which I still need help to get rid of.

So, I guess the next step is to determine how to get rid of these files and program from my computer. Hopefully, this is and was the main problem I was having with my system. I have not tried to internet game; or check out if my Win Live Mail is fully operational; or check out other aspects of my system with regards to the other problems/issues I was having.

But, I await your help and next instructions in order to get my system back to it was a week ago :)

Thanks again.

Edited by hYlAnDeR~TFC, 18 May 2012 - 03:02 PM.

hYlAnDeR~TFC~

#7 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,307 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2012 - 04:42 PM

I have no opinion as to whether reinstalling Linksys Easy Link Advisor will solve the problem or not.
It does show up in your Add/ Remove program and it can be uninstalled from there. Some programs
when clicked on there will show a repair or uninstall options. I don't know if this program has the repair option.

I did look a bit and found this for trouble shooting:

Linksys EasyLink Advisor 3.1 User Guide
Troubleshooting
Some functions of Linksys EasyLink Advisor do not work,
or the network map is missing information.
Follow these instructions:
1. The Router is at the center of your network map.
Click the down arrow
device name.
to the right of the Router’s
2. Click Change Router Password.
3. In the Password field, enter a new password.
Select Show Password if you want to view the
password as legible characters.
4. To save the new password, click Apply.
Your network cannot connect to the Internet.
Follow these instructions until your computer can connect
to the Internet:
•• Make sure that the Router is powered on. The Power
LED should be lit and not flashing.
•• If the Power LED is flashing, then power off all of
your network devices, including the modem, Router,
and computers. Then power on each device in the
following order:
1. Cable or DSL modem
2. Router
3. Computer(s)
••
Check the cable connections. The computer should
be connected to one of the ports numbered 1-4 on
the Router, and the modem must be connected to the
Internet port on the Router.
Your computer cannot connect wirelessly.
Check the following:
•• If your computer has built-in wireless, make sure
wireless is enabled.
•• If your computer has an external wireless adapter,
make sure the wireless adapter is securely connected
to the computer. You may want to remove the adapter
and then reconnect it.
WEB: If your questions are not addressed
here, refer to the Linksys website,
www.linksysbycisco.com

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#8 hYlAnDeR~TFC

hYlAnDeR~TFC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2012 - 05:35 PM

Thanks for the infor regarding Linksys!

I work some of the troubleshooting stuff and my router and its software appear to be ok.

My email if functioning normal again, computer is running super fast as well. Also, online/network gaming is back online and working well.

So, the only issue still lingering in the background of my computer at the momement would is the nmsrv_exe file and the apparent traces of the nmsrvc_exe files and other files affiliated with both Network Magic Service and Pure Networks on my systemmj. This is what I need help with next. How to uninstall it. But, since Revo and Win7 control panel/programs does not populate with any of the above programs (Network Magic or Pure Networks), I am in need of further assistance to help me unstall this by other means.

Thanks again
hYlAnDeR~TFC~

#9 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,307 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2012 - 06:11 PM

You may not of understood.....the program is in your Add/ Remove list. I saw it in a
scan you did on your other topic before posting here.
Look there again for Linksys Easy Link Advisor.
It is the same file as would be for Cisco as Linksys licensed the Cisco product and
I think just renamed it more or less.

EDIT:
Java Auto Updater (Version: 2.0.7.1)
Java™ 6 Update 31 (64-bit) (Version: 6.0.310)
Java™ 6 Update 31 (Version: 6.0.310)
Junk Mail filter update (Version: 15.4.3502.0922)
KeyScrambler (Version: 2.9.1.0)
Linksys EasyLink Advisor (Version: 3.0.8122.29)
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware version 1.61.0.1400 (Version: 1.61.0.1400)
MechWarrior 3

Edited by buddy215, 18 May 2012 - 06:28 PM.

#10 hYlAnDeR~TFC

hYlAnDeR~TFC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2012 - 12:48 PM

I understand that "Linksys Easy Link Advisor" is in my Add/Remove list. Are you saying that this is part of the (Network Magic or Pure Networks) software that I am trying to uninstall? If so, then yes, I can uninstall it. However, if this is not part of Network Magic or Pure Networks, then why would I need to get rid of it since my Cisco/Linksys device and software are functioning properly? My understanding was that I was to transfer my topic for help from the Security Forum to here, the Win7 Forum, to get help on how to get rid of this (Network Magic or Pure Networks) program from my system as the prior moderator "boopme" suggested that this is the primary problem with my computer.

I'm confused at this point because now I have 3 to 5 people telling me differnt things of what to do and how to fix it.
hYlAnDeR~TFC~

#11 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,307 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2012 - 02:02 PM

The file nmsrvc.exe is part of the Linksys Easy Link Advisor. That is why you have no
listing for any other Cisco related program in your Add/ Remove list. Linksys licenses the use
of the Cisco product.

It is your call as to whether or not to uninstall the LELA program. If it were my computer and
everything was functioning well, I would not go through the hassle of reinstalling. I don't know if
you're setup is actually using the LELA program.

#12 hYlAnDeR~TFC

hYlAnDeR~TFC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2012 - 04:57 PM

Ok,

very good!

I agree with you, and I think I will forego the uninstall/reinstall of the Linksys Software.

Now, what about how to get rid of "Network Magic or Pure Networks"? Is this also part of the Linksys software, or is it something totally different and not related to the Linksys program? Or, do I even need to get rid of it? This is where it is located on my computer:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Pure Networks Shar...

Thanks again for your help.
hYlAnDeR~TFC~

#13 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:43 AM

Posted 19 May 2012 - 05:46 PM

What is pure networks platform service?
It is a program to assist you in setting up your home network for things such as printer sharing. If you do not know where it came from, it is often bundled in with routers from dlink and other companies.

That's something that AOL installs. When I had AOL I never found any use for it so I just uninstalled it.

Do you have any problems or error messages now ? If not then there is nothing to do -

Thank You -

Edited by noknojon, 19 May 2012 - 05:47 PM.

#14 hYlAnDeR~TFC

hYlAnDeR~TFC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2012 - 07:25 PM

I don't believe I have had any error messages. The only message that has come up was yesterday after I got home and worked on the computer a little bit. After I rebooted, a Zone Alarm pop up came up and stated that "pure networks was trying to access the internet". I declined it and my system has worked perfectly since.

I think it is safe to say now that my system is back to where it was a week ago; error free, virus free, updates intact, internet connectivity back on line with no issues, online gaming functional, email back to normal etc. Although I did acquire a virus, the Anti virus software I utilized located it, deleted and quarantined it and now all is working well.

I think we can go ahead and close this topic.

Thanks again for all your guys' help. It is much appreciated. I will let "boopme" know that this is fixed and have him close out the topic on the security forum as well.

Again, you all are awesome and thank you for assisting me to get my new system working like a champ again.

Blessings!
hYlAnDeR~TFC~

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users