Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Battery - "Plugged In, Not Charging"?

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Cadiann

Cadiann

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 PM

Posted 17 May 2012 - 06:57 PM

Recently, my little Dell Inspiron mini 1012 laptop broke. The little plug in the back that you plug the adapter into decided it wanted to not work anymore, so it won't charge, and my battery drained. So my mom was kind enough to let me borrow her old, "broken" one. It's a Dell Inspiron i1520. She thought it got a virus on it, and the battery wasn't working right, so she let me have it, until we can get mine fixed. Well, as it turns out, it works just fine, except for the adapter plug on this one having issues and the adapter needing to be duct taped to the computer... xD;

So, this computer has been running on absolutely no battery, just the power from the plug in my wall. If I move the laptop, it completely shuts off. Annoying, I know. So I decided to buy a laptop battery replacement. It got here today, so I brought it to the laptop and turned off the laptop, then flipped it over and popped out the old one, and popped in the new one. I had no problems getting it in, and it locked right into place without any issues. So I flipped it back over and waited a bit, to find that the charging icon wasn't on. Wondering what could possibly be wrong this time, I turned it on, and sure enough, the battery icon says "38% available (plugged in, not charging)".

From there, I went onto my trusty Google Chrome and did a search on "new laptop battery plugged in, not charging" and found a couple results. They were all different answers, but none worked. One suggested checking for battery driver updates for Vista (what this laptop runs on). I'm currently trying this, but it's been quite a while, and the searches haven't found a thing yet. Another one suggested unplugging the laptop, taking out the battery, and making sure it was really off. I did that, and it did indeed turn off. So then it told me to plug it back in and replace the battery, then turn it back on, and it should acknowledge the battery now, from a "cold reboot." Nope, it didn't. And the last result I bothered to look at before coming here, suggested that I check and make sure the battery's locked in. It is. So I don't know what to do now. I would really like to know what I'm supposed to do to fix this, because it's really inconvenient.

At least now I know that when I move the computer, it won't shut off anymore. I guess that's a good thing. Until the 38% dies down.

Anything anyone can do to help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance. :)
YOU. Yeah, you. Have you played Amnesia: The Dark Descent? Do you know of a moderately priced or a cheap computer that is capable at playing it? Message me! Please and thank you. :D

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users