Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BT home hub and BT business hub...

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 David Ashcroft

David Ashcroft

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 PM

Posted 17 May 2012 - 06:25 PM

Hi guys. Just a little question here... We are using a BT Business Hub at my work, i literally have the business hub connected to a switch, and then every other device also connected to the switch.

From what i know, hubs are very bad at routing traffic efficiently, this is why i connect everything to the switch.

My questions is, although it is called the BT Business Hub, is it actually a hub? or a router? or a switch? I assume its a router since its the gateway to the internet, however my concern is that the ports are programmed to work like a hub. BT make it very confusing with the name of the product, so would the ports operate like a hub even though its a router?

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,570 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 AM

Posted 17 May 2012 - 06:35 PM

Googling BT Business Hub. I see this phrase more than once.

Details & pricing for our business hub - a powerful broadband modem, router, hub and wireless access point.

and this one

The BT Business Hub is a powerful, one-box solution for your business, containing a broadband modem, router, hub and wireless access point giving you the freedom to share your Internet connection around your office, with flexible support for wireless, Ethernet, and USB, and gives you everything needed to maximise your broadband experience.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/BT-Business-Hub/dp/B001F4XS68

Bold is mine within the quotes. So I will say that the 'hub' nomenclature is a misnomer. It is an all in one device.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users