Jump to content


 


Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.


Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Router problem or device problem?


  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ChicagoMel

ChicagoMel

  • Members
  • 110 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Gender:Female
  • Local time:07:00 AM

Posted 17 May 2012 - 03:05 PM

Yesterday, my Ipad and both my Nintendo DS systems suddenly stopped connecting to my Wifi. I can't tell if it's an odd coincidence, the router or what. My laptop and Android phone still connect just fine to the Wifi and so does my Wii system. The DS systems stopped first; I'd been connected online just minutes before, but when I disconnected and then wanted to reconnect, it wouldn't. Connection tests give me an error about not being able to obtain the IP address. One system is a DSi and one a DS, but neither will connect. The Ipad stopped just after. I was looking at the wifi connection info and don't recall exactly what I clicked when it quit on me...I do recall clicking between the three tabs that show when you click 'SETTINGS' and the button, then click on the network. I also recall toggling the auto/manual/off HTTP item at the bottom. The Ipad will show the IP address and the item beneath it, but no other information, and I read somewhere that the prefix of the address mean it's self-assigned. It looks like it's trying to connect and the wifi symbol appears up at the top, but it won't actually connect. I did read something about firmware updates, but if it was working fine just before, I can't see how that would be the problem. I tried resetting the settings on all the devices, and tried resetting the Ipad, first network settings and then a full reset, but nothing happened.

Can anyone tell from this if things might be connected, or if it's a coincidence, and what's going on?

PS, if this is in the wrong place, apologies...was hard to be sure with not being sure where the problem is.

Edited by ChicagoMel, 17 May 2012 - 03:17 PM.

Was using Firefox...until Chrome took over.

One God, One Truth, One Savior-Jesus


BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

 


#2 s1lents0ul

s1lents0ul

  • Members
  • 544 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Gender:Male
  • Local time:09:00 AM

Posted 18 May 2012 - 01:50 AM

reset your router to default settings, by using a paper clip, there is a tiny reset button the router itself. Then see if it displays an un secured wireless network you can connect to. Then if it does, secure the wireless access.
==]--s1lents0ul-->

#3 ChicagoMel

ChicagoMel
  • Topic Starter

  • Members
  • 110 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Gender:Female
  • Local time:07:00 AM

Posted 18 May 2012 - 11:57 PM

I got it fixed by rebooting the router...basically just unplugging and plugging it back in. Not sure why it'd glitch, but now all items work properly.

Was using Firefox...until Chrome took over.

One God, One Truth, One Savior-Jesus





0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users