Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Protection Error

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Eluzion

Eluzion

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 PM

Posted 17 May 2012 - 02:19 PM

My old computers operating system is Windows ME. Starting my computer I receive the message "While Initializing device CONFIGMG: Windows Protection Error. You need to restart your computer." After doing some research it seems I need to perform a BIOS upgrade. Guaranteed this is basically Spanish to me, I followed the directions on the Microsoft website [http://support.microsoft.com/kb/187612] under more information. It said to "Force APM 1.0" On my computer, it didn't have the option to do that.

The computer will only run in Safe Mode. My question is, besides how to fix this problem, I have important files on the computer that I would hate to see deleted, how do I retrieve these files? Thanks in advance for your help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Lovelygirl

Lovelygirl

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 PM

Posted 16 July 2012 - 11:35 PM

Run scandisk and see if that works to repair your Operating System

#3 easyrider2

easyrider2

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 PM

Posted 30 September 2012 - 04:51 PM

Hi Eluzion,

could you let me know if the problem was resolved?

If it has not been resolve, I would recommend you to enter BIOS (when you power up the computer it shows a message which key you need to enter, usually it may be F1,F2, Del or Esc key). Once you in BIOS, please navigate with the arrow and there should be Power section. Enter the Power section (by pressing Enter on keyboard) and locate the APM option (it may be in Advanced Power Features as well). Once located, please disable it, then save all changes and restart computer.

If this is not working, please enter the BIOS again using the steps above and please find option Restore to Default. Click on Save and then restart the computer. Please post here if it is working.

Best of luck.

#4 Sylveon Fetish

Sylveon Fetish

• Members
  • 397 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2015 - 12:58 PM

anything else? I have the same problem on Windows 98. neither of those advice worked. it happened after I removed a 512 MB ram stick because 1GB total was causing problems. same thing as OP, only runs in safe mode

#5 Sylveon Fetish

Sylveon Fetish

• Members
  • 397 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2015 - 01:40 PM

nevermind, I figured it out. it turns out that the one ramstick has to be in a certain slot. I moved the remaining ramstick to the slot of the one that I removed and it works like normal.

#6 Kirbyofdeath

Kirbyofdeath

• Members
  • 459 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 PM

Posted 13 April 2015 - 10:07 AM

Ram can cause a lot of issues in Windows 9x. I had got "While Initializing device IOS: Windows Protection Error. You need to restart your computer." only because I was trying to create a ramdisk.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users