Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 98 Desktop Incredibly Slow To Boot Up And Operate...

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 wbhendrickson

wbhendrickson

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:33 AM

Posted 27 February 2006 - 01:24 AM

I recently did a complete cleanup of my Windows 98 desktop. This included at least the following (but not necessarily in this order): disc cleanup, defrag, scan disc, CC cleanup, AdAware, Spybot Search & Destroy, Spywareblaster, and a full system McAfee virus scan. Nothing significant found. I also verified msconfig for startup items and everything there appears reasonable.

However, upon initial startup or reboots, the computer starts up incredibly slow, taking 7-8 minutes until it's fully up and running. Initiating other programs once booted up also is very slow. I posted a Hijack This log and it checked out clean.

Here are my responses to the "Slow Computer Checklist:"

A. Malware
1. VirusScan updated. Complete scan, nothing found.
2. No recent downloads.
3. Anti-spyware scans completed.

B. Uncontrolled Applications
4. Startup list verified and minimized to necessary programs.

C. Maintenance
5. Hard drive cleaned up.
6. Scan disc completed.
7. Defrag completed.

If I could guess one thing that could be negatively affecting the speed of my computer, it would be the installation of my HP 7210 All-in-One printer about 6 months ago. Initially after installation of that printer, my desktop ran slow. Shortly thereafter operating speed greatly improved. Now however the speed is absolutely dismal.

Any suggestions or ideas? Thank you.

wb

Edited by wbhendrickson, 27 February 2006 - 01:24 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:33 AM

Posted 27 February 2006 - 07:53 AM

What processor do you have(speed in mhz)? How hard drive space, and how much free\used? How much RAM do have? What is you virtual memory allocation?
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 wbhendrickson

wbhendrickson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2006 - 12:54 AM

What processor do you have(speed in mhz)?

Pentium II, 350 mhz

How hard drive space, and how much free\used?

9.54 GB hard drive: 7.08 used, 2.45 free

How much RAM do have?

128 mb, 64% free

What is you virtual memory allocation?

Not sure about this one. It's a 32-bit system, set automatically by Windows. If administrator control option is selected, it has a 2507 mb maximum.

Answers above. Thanks.

Edited by wbhendrickson, 28 February 2006 - 12:55 AM.

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:33 AM

Posted 28 February 2006 - 02:42 AM

About the only thing I can see doing to your computer is adding RAM I you have an open memory slot you could upgrade it for $15/128mb. Be careful how much you spend on this computer. For a round $300 you can be into a new computer. While being far from a top end computer will be incredible fast compasred to your computer.

Example: Upgrades

Hard drive 60gb -----------------$40
Processor upgrade to 1.4ghz--$130
Windows XP Pro-----------------$125+-
RAM 2-256mb sticks used------$80 to $100
Software ------------------------FREE (We can recommend all you need)
Total-------------------------------$375 to $395+

Example: New Computers

Dell
HP
Gateway
Compaq

Then there is the option of building a new computer. That would run you $500+ depending on what you wanted.
I am not recommending any of the computer list but listed so many to make a point. At some point you have to decide if you want to stay with the old or migrate up to the new. I believe your computer is not slow but tired. A fresh install of 98 will make a small difference, but in the end I believe you will need to upgrade or purchase a new(er) computer. Sorry.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#5 wbhendrickson

wbhendrickson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2006 - 12:56 PM

Excellent feedback. Thank you.

I will probably add the RAM as the cost is minimal to do so; I probably won't go much beyond that. Like you say, it's reached the point where it is time to consider other options.

My laptop is a new Windows XP and the higher speed and capability is very obvious.

Thank you for responding so quickly. Nicely done.

wb

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users