Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

.DLL İN MY TEMP FOLDER

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Julia G

Julia G

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:33 AM

Posted 17 May 2012 - 07:33 AM

W.7 HOME PREMİUM X64 SP1

Hi All,

a couple of days ago,i found the following file folder:7zS55DE

in my temp folder:PROCESS svchost.exe PATH LOCKED c:/users/julia/appdata/local/temp/7...

TYPE Application Extension(.DLL)

İ have googled it,but the info i got,didn't satisfy me,as to WHAT it is doing there.

My Unlocker can't unlock it,

and i get a warning that since it is needed by the system deleting it,could cause problems.

Any ideas anybody?

Edited by Julia G, 17 May 2012 - 07:34 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,562 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:33 AM

Posted 17 May 2012 - 08:33 AM

1) After a reboot you can delete anything in your temp folder (I say after a reboot because some newly installed software place files in the temp folder that are needed to complete the installation on a new boot)

2) Any time you are unsure about whether or not you can safely delete a file, you can always rename or move it and then reboot. If there are no adverse effects after a period of time, it is probably safe to delete.

3) Using disc imaging software on a regular basis will allow you to do whatever you like and still provide a safe haven should something go wrong.

#3 Julia G

Julia G
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2012 - 10:26 AM

Thank you Allan,

i already know about the points you made.

İ was hopping for a more specific answer,

to my questions.

Thanks anyway.

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,562 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2012 - 10:34 AM

Well, other than "any ideas anybody" you didn't really ask any questions - so I tried to respond as best I could.

If it's in the temp folder it isn't needed by the system. Assuming it's not malware (and I guess it could be, but I wouldn't assume it is) you should be able to delete it from safe mode or by using something like "move on boot" t delete on the next boot.

#5 Julia G

Julia G
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2012 - 11:05 AM

Well, other than "any ideas anybody" you didn't really ask any questions - so I tried to respond as best I could.

If it's in the temp folder it isn't needed by the system. Assuming it's not malware (and I guess it could be, but I wouldn't assume it is) you should be able to delete it from safe mode or by using something like "move on boot" t delete on the next boot.

My reply was NOT meant to be critical,

You did respond as well as you could,

and i thanked you.

Your second reply,was more helpful for me,

Thanks again.

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,562 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2012 - 11:25 AM

I didn't mean to sound as though I thought you were being critical - I didn't.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users