Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Having trouble backing-up using DriveImage XML

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Nonic

Nonic

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 PM

Posted 17 May 2012 - 04:32 AM

Hi
I am trying to back-up the C drive on my desk top pc using DriveImage XML.
The pc operating system is Windows XP SP3.
I have created a folder in my usb connected external hard drive that has over 200 GB of free space.
The tutorial has been easy to folow and is well illustrated but I have not been able to complete the back up process successfully.
I keep getting an error message " Could not flush write buffer for E:\ C-Drive Clone May 2012 \Drive_C.dat - insufficient disck space" at about the 27% completion mark.
Any advice how to overcome this problem would be most appreciated.
Thank you
Nonic

Edited by Nonic, 17 May 2012 - 05:44 PM.

Lead Me Not Into Temptation.....I Can Find the Way Myself !!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RedDawn

RedDawn

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:02 PM

Posted 17 May 2012 - 05:18 PM

Hi Nonic,

See if this helps.
http://runtime3.org/blog/?p=26

#3 Nonic

Nonic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2012 - 03:05 AM

Hi RedDawn

My sincere thanks for your interest and reponse. The link you provided was an excellent source of information and gave a clear understanding of why I was receiving the error message.

I now need to decide how best to save some of the important data I currrently have stored on my external hard drive. I will then reformat the external hard drive to NTFS so that it will match the file format of the PC hard drive.

Hopefully, all will then be well. As a matter of interest do you know if it is possible to undertake incremental back ups using DriveImage XML ?

Thanks again for your advice

Nonic

#4 RedDawn

RedDawn

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2012 - 11:29 AM

I'm not really familiar with DriveImage XML, but as far as I know, it unfortunately doesn't support incremental backups.

Out of the free imaging apps available, the only one I know that supports incremental backups is EaseUS Todo Backup Free. There may be others that I'm unaware of though.

Another option to consider might be Paragon Backup & Recovery 2012 Free, which supports differential backups. I use Paragon software myself and have been very happy with it so far.

Here's a pretty good article that may help you decide which imaging app to go with.
http://www.techsupportalert.com/best-free-drive-imaging-program.htm

2 Tips:

*Whichever one you decide on, be sure to create a Rescue Disk straight away, and make sure you can boot to it. The majority of the rescue disks these imaging apps create are Linux based, and may not support all hardware setups, something you don't want to find out when it's too late.

*You'll find some v.good, and easy to follow tutorials for most imaging apps on Youtube.

#5 Nonic

Nonic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2012 - 01:59 AM

Hi RedDawn
Thanks again for your most valuable comments. I was unaware of the difference between Differential and Incremental back ups prior to reading you response.
An interesting subject and I have enjoyed researching the various options available. I haven't decided which software to use as yet but I am very mindfull of your advice regarding the use of a rescue disc and being able to boot from it.
Please accept my sincere appreciation for sharing your knowledge.
Nonic

#6 RedDawn

RedDawn

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2012 - 04:48 PM

You're very welcome, Nonic :) .

Best of luck :thumbup2: .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users