Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB Port turns off computer

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 crybllrd

crybllrd

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:00 PM

Posted 17 May 2012 - 02:18 AM

I am trying to get my girlfriend's EeePC back to a usable state.
She had it loaded down with all sorts of spyware and viruses, to the point it wasn't even worth trying to use. She stopped using it two years ago.
I have most of it cleaned up, and now I am playing with the hardware issues.
I replaced the screen and keyboard from an old unit I found, and am now dealing with a faulty USB port.
Her EeePC has two USB 2.0 ports built in. One of them works fine, and the other one kills the computer when anything is plugged in to it.
It happens immediately when you plug something in, it just powers off ((doesn't go through the shutdown routine)). It seems to be a bit of a short.
I don't have any problems soldering or changing hardware parts as I have plenty of experience doing both, I am just wondering if anyone has any experience replacing a USB port in one of these units (or something similar) as I would like to know what i'm getting myself into before beginning.
Thanks in advance.

EDIT: after looking a bit closer, the troubled USB (on the right)is missing that horizontal flat piece, so when I look in to the port all I can see are 3 prongs.
See pic, troubled one is on the right, good one is on the left.
Attached File  photo.JPG   148.24KB   4 downloads

Edited by crybllrd, 17 May 2012 - 02:33 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,945 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:00 AM

Posted 17 May 2012 - 10:55 AM

You may want to just block the opening of that port in a tasteful manner (or just put duct tape over it :) ) rather than attempt to repair it. I haven't looked inside one of those in over a year but I don't think it's an easy jack to replace without too much risk.

I have one and have fixed quite a few for teenagers who got them in high school so I know what you are up against :)

If while fixing the broken port you inadvertently break both ports, you will kind of brick the whole thing since they don't have an internal CD/DVD and it's easy to get into a situation where it does not have network access.

Maybe someone else has had good luck replacing these ports and can jump into the thread with us.

James

#3 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:00 PM

Posted 17 May 2012 - 11:10 AM

Do you have experince replacing USB ports?
If yes, it will have same method with a Desktop Mainboard.
If not, you could search a documentary video on youtube about doing that, no need find same model, just need how to do it right.

The key is your soldering devices and please be carefull with that heat because it could burn something :whistle:

:guitar: Take me to a place where time is frozen
You don't have to close your eyes to dream :busy:
You can find escape inside this moment :smash:
And I will follow  :whistle:

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:00 AM

Posted 17 May 2012 - 05:56 PM

If it were mine and that was the problem I would make sure that the four pins in there are not touching anything or each other then I would put hot melt glue in there so nothing can be plugged in.
I suggest that since I have seen the USB controller chip get fried and take out the motherboard on a desktop.

I have changed damaged USB ports and it is a royal pain. I only did it because I wanted to sell the computer and I had a dead one with the exact same usb port to use as a donor.

Good Luck
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users