Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Random shut down during game (different prob from other!)

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Zartikus

Zartikus

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 PM

Posted 16 May 2012 - 11:29 PM

Hi All,

I'm having some compatibility issues with my new gfx card, I think. I'm pretty new at this so I'm having trouble diagnosing it.

Card is a Radeon Saphire 6850, found here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102908

My computer is this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883227339

Problem:
System will either freeze (lock up, force a manual shutdown) or automatically restart during gaming. This occurs at odd intervals. Sometimes I will be able to play for hours and it will be fine - other times I will log in and freeze within 10 minutes. Once I freeze one time, I almost always will freeze again in the same spot.

I've updated drivers, I've updated windows service packs, I'm fairly sure i've ruled out overheating (comp runs ~50 degrees) THOUGH I am not sure if I can rule out overheating of the gfx card itself - don't know how to check.

Really not sure what else to do!

Any help would be spectacular.

Thanks,
Zack

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Zartikus

Zartikus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 PM

Posted 17 May 2012 - 11:21 AM

anyone...?

#3 everready

everready

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:28 PM

Posted 17 May 2012 - 01:18 PM

Hi Zartikus,

I quickly looked over your hardware from the link you provided. One thing that caught my attention was that the system build has only a 480W power supply. The feedback on the system at the Newegg site doesn't actually praise that power supply. Some symptoms of inadequate power are multiple different stop error bsods, corrupted hard drive, unexpected reboots and freezing.

The new video card you are installing consumes a lot more power than the pervious. The vendor web site specifies that a minimum 500 Watt Power Supply is required, and 1X75 Watt 6-pin PCI Express power connector is required. The vendor also supplies a list of certified power supplies.

Here is a link to their recommendations for power supplies Certified Power Supplies

See this link for Graphic card system specifications SAPPHIRE HD 6850 1GB GDDR5 PCIE.

Hope this helps

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users