Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reload OS

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 fiery

fiery

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 AM

Posted 16 May 2012 - 06:28 PM

Hi,
I've been in the malware forum. We've been trying to remove a scour redirect and it's not working. I've decided to just reinstall the OS but I've never done it before. The person I was working with says there is a recovery partition on the computer. It's a Dell Vostro laptop.

I have the install CDs that came with the machine. I've tried hitting F8 and it doesn't show the Dell Recovery option. The person who I was working with said if I use the reinstall CDs, I'll lose the partition, but I'm not really sure what that means.

What's the best way to reinstall the system?

Thanks in advance for any guidance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 PM

Posted 16 May 2012 - 07:22 PM

Hi
On a Dell Vostro 1520 series. Holding down the F5 key when powering on should work.
It takes you to a menu where you choose the system restore option.

Or else - These are all from the link provided by CatByte (your Helper) http://www.ehow.com/how_4778078_reformat-dell-laptop.html
Tips & Warnings
Full formatting destroys all data on the computer
Back up any data on the PC that you plan on saving. This can be accomplished by using burnable CDs or DVDs, attaching an external hard drive, using an online backup process or hooking up to the corporate backup server.

Good luck -

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users