Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Renamed domain controller, not cannot log in

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 lime237

lime237

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 AM

Posted 16 May 2012 - 04:24 PM

Hello,
I have been running Windows Server 2008 (not R2), and wanted to rename the computer from SERVER01 to SERVER02. A friend told me to do it by right-clicking my computer, clicking properties, clicking change settings, clicking change, renaming it, then rebooting. I now realize that this is not the best/correct way to do this, but it is too late. I am now unable to log in using any accounts, including the Administrator account; I keep getting "the username or password is incorrect". This was the only computer/domain controller I had (I am using it to study for MCTS exam), so there was no replication of active directory objects anywhere else. Please let me know how I can be able to log on again, or at least transfer all of these objects to a different domain controller/computer. I exported all objects via ldifde (Idifde -f everything.ldf) and also csvde (csvde -f everything.csv) before renaming, but failed to import them onto a new system. I can still access the files on this partition by using Windows 7 from a different partition. I already tried the method involving using the installation cd and the utilman.exe utility, but it did not work. Any help would be appreciated.
Thank you very much.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 lime237

lime237
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2012 - 02:13 PM

Update: I have tried everything to regain access, however now when I try to start-up using any mode (normal, safe mode, last known good configuration, etc) I get a blue screen stating: "STOP: c00002e3 Security Accounts Manager initialization failed because of the following error: The security ID structure is invalid. Error status: 0xc0000078. Please click OK to shutdown this system and reboot into safe mode. check the event log for more detailed information".
I have pretty much given up on being able to log back into this, and will probably need to reinstall the OS. However, I am able to access the data on this partition via my Windows 7 partition, is there any way I can obtain the user data from the NTDS.dit file, or any other file on there?

#3 Snow90

Snow90

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 AM

Posted 05 June 2012 - 06:43 AM

Can you log in using a local administrator account? That profile will not use Active Directory.

#4 magicalcow

magicalcow

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2012 - 10:58 AM

While renaming a DC is supported, I would never recommend it. I find it easier just to demote it and promote it in a multi-DC enviroment. It hinges a lot on if you domain is healthly or not. Here is how to do it properly: http://www.petri.co.il/rename-windows-server-2008-domain-controllers.htm. Also, if fails you will wasiting time and fixing instead of doing it the long way.

If you have more than 1 DC, sieze the FSMO (if needed), do some meta-data clean up, then repromote your box. Sounds like you only 1 DC.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users