Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Questions about smartphones and plans.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Salazara

Salazara

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 AM

Posted 16 May 2012 - 03:15 PM

I've been debating getting a smartphone, but I can't decide which one to go with. I read about the specs on the Galaxy S III(Quad core, WOW). But then I also read somewhere that the US launch of the phone would only sport a dual core processor, and that it had something to do with the 4g/LTE networks? If anyone could explain that to me it'd be great, because it never made much sense to me. I'm looking for something with a good camera, larger screen. Also if anyone could suggest a good plan? I've been looking at several plans through Verizon, AT&T, and Sprint but they ALL seem to cost an arm and a leg. I was wondering if anyone knows of a way to get a smartphone with just unlimited SMS and a data plan? Because then the bill would be like 60$, which I can do, but the idea paying like 80-100 $ for a plan is ridiculous to me.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,743 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 AM

Posted 16 May 2012 - 03:49 PM

To get a subsidized bleeding edge high performance smart phone it will cost you an arm and a leg. Thats how the carriers make their money back by giving you a $600.00 phone(for example) for $199.00. They lock you in for two years so you pay for the service plus they get their money back on the balance of the retail price. Otherwise your option is to pay retail on an unlocked phone and get a month to month contract.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 troublesh00ter

troublesh00ter

• Members
  • 561 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2012 - 04:03 PM

To get a subsidized bleeding edge high performance smart phone it will cost you an arm and a leg. Thats how the carriers make their money back by giving you a $600.00 phone(for example) for $199.00. They lock you in for two years so you pay for the service plus they get their money back on the balance of the retail price. Otherwise your option is to pay retail on an unlocked phone and get a month to month contract.

Animal is correct. No matter what they try to tell you your bill will look like, you'll end up paying somewhere in the neighborhood of $100 for a smartphone. I tried to pay for less minutes because I don't talk very much and my bill is still $100. They'll get it from you somehow. But if you want a phone with a good camera, Samsung's Galaxy S phones have the best cameras right now. HTC's new phone (can't remember what it's called; One-X I think?) uses a camera that Samsung manufactures for their Galaxy S II. The Galaxy S III will feature a new, but similar camera that will be a little better.

But yeah... smart phones are expansive. O.o
for3ver,
goose90proof

#4 Salazara

Salazara
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2012 - 04:04 PM

Anyone have any explanation as to why the American release of the Galaxy S III is going to drop the Quad Core?

#5 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,743 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 AM

Posted 16 May 2012 - 06:44 PM

Nothing is confirmed, till it arrives in stores and you have it in your hands. I have not heard this rumor myself and cannot find a confirmed reliable report.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#6 Mr.ArnOld

Mr.ArnOld

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2012 - 06:50 AM

My father just got the Galaxy sIII and its amazing!
Im was so impressed by the screen and the design (although I use galaxy sII)

Recommended :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users