Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Turning on Windows Defender

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 PossumNZ

PossumNZ

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 PM

Posted 16 May 2012 - 02:19 PM

I am running Windows 7 Home Premium on my emachine laptop and have enabled Microsoft Security Essentials as my anti-virus programme.

All okay but I noticed Windows Defender is turned off but when I try and start Defender the programme won't open up and just hangs there.

My question is Microsoft Security Essentials also a spyware programme and doesn't need Defender turned on?

Edit: Moved topic from Windows 7 to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:50 AM

Posted 16 May 2012 - 03:20 PM

Hello PossumNZ,

Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) "disables" Windows Defender by default. Should you ever uninstall MSE, Windows will enable Defender once again.

MSE does have malware fighting capability; however, my recommendation would be to install and run
Malwarebytes free version as an on-demand malware scanner. MSE and Malwarebytes should give your computer adequate protection.

Also, see this link: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/protect_start/windows-defender-and-microsoft-security-essentials/5309cb8d-02e1-40e8-974f-0dcedb9ab9fd

Regards,
Brooks

#3 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 PM

Posted 16 May 2012 - 06:39 PM

Hi PossumNZ -
As explained by Artrooks, MSE includes an anti-spyware component that's based on "Defender technology."
Here is a quick statement from Microsoft on the modern version of Windows Defender -

QUOTE - From Pa Bear (M/soft MVP)
As such, installing MSE disables Defender by default (on purpose):
http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/msestart/thread/5309cb8d-02e1-40e8-974f-0dcedb9ab9fd

If you don't like this, you can always uninstall MSE & install something else...but be forewarned that just about all modern AV apps (e.g., Norton, McAfee, Avast, AntiVir, AVG) also include an anti-spyware component and will / may also disable Windows Defender by default..
Defender can, in some cases, be re-enabled, but the technology in other modern Antivirus programs may now disable it to prevent dual A/virus programs from running
END QUOTE - The link, provided by Microsoft, also explains Antivirus settings included with Windows8

I hope this fully explains the new technology involved in many Antivirus settings -

Regards -
EDIT to check link -

Edited by noknojon, 16 May 2012 - 06:40 PM.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,905 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 AM

Posted 17 May 2012 - 02:29 PM

Microsoft also offers Windows Defender Offline if needed for malware infection.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users