Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Best Program to use to reset passwords

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 JustLearningSue

JustLearningSue

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:32 PM

Posted 16 May 2012 - 01:43 PM

My brother gave me a HP DV 6940 Laptop with a broken screen. He got it from a recycle swap. I was able to connect it to another monitor, but there is no way to over ride the password(tried admin, administrator in caps and not). I see there are lots of password resets online both free and not free. I am happy to pay a small fee to get it working again, but I am hoping to get good counsel as to which one is the best and easiest. I can follow directions, but I don't have a lot of computer knowledge. Thanks in advance. Sue

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,554 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2012 - 04:33 PM

You may want to read http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=c01036643&lang=en&cc=us&taskId=125&contentType=SupportFAQ&prodSeriesId=3688868&prodTypeId=321957 .

Seems that there are various kinds of passwords that may be involved...the task may not be as easy as you think.

Louis

#3 JustLearningSue

JustLearningSue
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2012 - 10:19 AM

Thanks Louis. My other option is, we have a brand new hard drive for it. Only problem is we don't have the disk for the Windows Vista Home Premium that's on it and the key is barely readable on the back. Any suggestions??

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,554 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2012 - 11:20 AM

I can't give specific advice regarding HP systems...not familiar with them at all, certainly not familiar with your system.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users