Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP Setup crashes

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 greatchap

greatchap

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:03 PM

Posted 16 May 2012 - 12:43 PM

Hello Guys,

I assembled a new system today. The spects are :

- 2nd Generation Intel Core i3 processor
- Intel DH61SA classic motherboard
- 4 GB DDR3 RAM
- 250 GB SATA HDD

Hardware connected: 1 HDD (SATA), DVD ROM (SATA).

I started windows xp home edition (SP2) setup, the setup started ok but when it says starting windows... (when setup asks F8 to continue etc) the blue screen of death comes and message is that a problem has been detected and system was stopped to prevent damage etc etc.
0x0000007B (xxx,xxx,xxx,xxx)

I also updated bios to latest version still problem persists. Then in bios sata setup I selected IDE and not AHCI. Then windows was installed successfully.

Why is the problem coming ? Why can't I install xp in AHCI mode ? Will there be a significant speed diff in ahci mode vs ide mode.

Please help.

Thanks a lot,

GR

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 AM

Posted 16 May 2012 - 03:22 PM

Hi
I'm not sure why it was crashing usually it just does not see any hard drive.

To install XP in AHCI mode you need a floppy disk drive and a floppy disk.
Then either from the motherboard disk or from here

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=20913&lang=eng&wapkw=dh61sa+drivers

File name:f6flpy-x86_Win7_XP_11.1.0.1006.zip Version:11.1.0.1006 Download
Date:03/05/2012 Status:Latest

Size:0.28 MB Language:English
Operating Systems:Windows 7 (32-bit)*, Windows Vista 32*, Windows XP Home Edition*, Windows XP Media Center Edition*, Windows XP Professional*

Then once you have created the floppy disk you need to start the XP install and when it prompts at the bottom of the screen to press F6 to load additional drivers press F6, follow the prompts to load the proper AHCI driver. At that point the windows install should see the hard drive and allow you to install to it.

The other option is to follow one of the guides from here to enable AHCI mode so it will work. It isn't as simple as changing the BIOS settings.
http://www.google.com/#hl=en&gs_nf=1&cp=14&gs_id=hp&xhr=t&q=XP+IDE+to+AHCI&pf=p&output=search&sclient=psy-ab&oq=XP+IDE+to+AHCI&aq=0&aqi=g1g-sK1g-K1g-m1&aql=&gs_l=&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&fp=bc3d48cfe8d7bcb1&biw=1024&bih=619

For example
http://www.neowin.net/news/neowin-guide-how-to-change-from-ide-to-ahci-without-reinstalling-windows

Do not attempt this if you do not know what you're doing!
Neowin is not responsible for loss of data and this information is merely presented as a guide.

You start with step 1 while you are still in Windows in IDE mode.

Run the Registry Editor (regedit.exe)
Navigate to Registry Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Msahci
Set the "Start" value to 0 (zero)
Navigate to Registry Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Pciide
Set the "Start" value to 0 (zero)
Shut down
Start up again, but before Windows boots go into the BIOS configuration screens and change the disk mode to "AHCI". Save the new BIOS configuration and restart so that Windows boots.

Good Luck
Roger

Edited by rotor123, 16 May 2012 - 03:25 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:33 PM

Posted 16 May 2012 - 06:22 PM

I'm not sure why it was crashing usually it just does not see any hard drive.

A STOP 0x7B error is normal when booting from the XP CD with a SATA HDD (the XP CD does not have SATA drivers).

Visit the motherboard manufacturer's website and download and install all necessary drivers. That will include the SATA drivers. When you have done that, you will then be able to go back to the BIOS Setup Menu and change the HDD mode back to AHCI.

That is one way (possibly the most convenient way in a lot of cases) to install XP on a SATA HDD.

Edited by AustrAlien, 16 May 2012 - 06:24 PM.

AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#4 greatchap

greatchap
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2012 - 02:49 AM

I installed Win XP Home edition in the machine and other programs as well. I think I will stick to IDE mode for now. All apps are working good.

I only see one problem. The login box in like a dialog box and when we shut down, then a dialog box opens asking options. The xp three buttons shutdown window is not seen.

My theme is Win Xp and appeareance is xp type as well.

What could be going on ?

#5 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 PM

Posted 17 May 2012 - 10:51 AM

Could you give a screen shot about that asking options, just to make sure about what that you ask.

:guitar: Take me to a place where time is frozen
You don't have to close your eyes to dream :busy:
You can find escape inside this moment :smash:
And I will follow  :whistle:

#6 greatchap

greatchap
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2012 - 01:01 AM

I did it from user account panel option. Thanks a lot for your help. Netgear program had disabled this system fast user switching.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users