Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

SEO - Multilingual website

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 super-grusha

super-grusha

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 AM

Posted 16 May 2012 - 09:42 AM

Hello,

I am a webmaster of a multilingual website. We used INC files in php in order to modify the language according to user's country IP. This saves a lot of time creating separate folders for every language.

My question is: does this considered to be cloaking and is it better to create sub-language folders? Or maybe should we purchase suparate domains (ex: .ru .es .de etc...)?

As you might know, Google's spider has an American IP address therefore it would see pages in English. Does this means pages in order languages would not be indexed?

Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,572 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 AM

Posted 02 July 2012 - 12:46 PM

Just saw this topic, so I am sorry it is such a late response. I hope you figured it out, but found something that would be useful for you:

http://googlewebmastercentral.blogspot.com/2010/03/working-with-multi-regional-websites.html

I know a lot of sites will redirect a user to a subsection that corresponds to the language and the main domain shows the primary language you are targetting. Something like:

www.example.com <- content in primary language
www.example.com/en/ <- content in english
www.example.com/ru/ <- content in russian
www.example.com/sp/ <- content in spanish.

This would definitely be safer than showing different content on the same url based on some criteria.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users