Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Favorites gone from IE8

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 cinerama

cinerama

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 PM

Posted 16 May 2012 - 09:31 AM

Hello,

Hope you can help me.

I received an error message when turning on my PC. It recommended a system restore so I said yes. Everything looks fine except none of my saved web sites display under Favorites in IE8. But, when I try to add a favorite, it tells me it already exists. Very strange.

Thanks,

Roland

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 everready

everready

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2012 - 11:27 AM

Hi cinerama,

Try this , close IE and open up Windows explorer and navigate to you Favorites folder. Right click on the folder and select properties. Select the previous version tab, and wait while the previous versions are gathered. Then select a recent previous version. Then click restore. This should restore your favorites with the correct location and properties. Then run a virus/malware scan.

Hope this helps.

#3 cinerama

cinerama
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2012 - 12:07 PM

Hi everready,

Thank you so much for the fast response! That fixed it!

I don't have a virus/malware program other than McAfee and PC Matic. Run one of those or another?

Thanks!

Roland

#4 cinerama

cinerama
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2012 - 12:29 PM

Also,

Also, nothing seems to be saved in IE now. Before, In the past, I would start up IE and I would already be logged in. Now I have to log in every time I start it up. This happens even though I select the "keep me logged on for two weeks" option.

Thanks!

Roland

#5 everready

everready

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2012 - 02:54 PM

Hi cinerama,

You were a little short on the details about how exactly you got the message from the system telling you to do a system restore. Sounded like a drive by attack to me, so I recommend a Malware/Virus scan as soon as possible. Go to this link and do a free on line scan.
Get a free online scan here. Then do a scan with your McAfee after.

Internet Explorer stores passwords in the registry keys. You can recover them, but as far as I know you need a third party utility to do so. To set IE to remember your passwords open IE and click on Tools, Internet Options, Content, and under AutoComplete click Settings. From there you can check or uncheck boxes for web addresses, forms, and usernames and passwords. You can also tell Internet Explorer to prompt you before saving passwords, clear form data, or clear password data.

Hope this helps

#6 cinerama

cinerama
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2012 - 05:10 PM

I'm running ESET online scanner now. I'll let you know what it finds.

Sorry, I probably didn't explain my problem properly.

I don't want my passwords saved. What I was saying is, if you click on the IE icon, it brings me to my home page - http://att.my.yahoo.com/. It asks me to "Please sign in". I enter my email address and password. I enter that and click on the box for "keep me signed in for two weeks". But if I click on the IE icon again later, I'm not signed in. This is the same for many web sites where you are asked to enter a username and password. Before these web sites kept me logged on, I never logged out, so I didn't have to enter a username and password everytime I visited those web sites. IE is logging me off web sites automatically.

#7 everready

everready

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2012 - 10:07 AM

Hi cinerama,

Did a little research on your sign in problem, I beleive it is probably due to the cookie settings on your IE browser. Since the system restore, your IE browser settings seem to have been changed. I found this article on the yahoo web site Sign-in issues affected by problems with cookies. It describes your problem quite well. I suggest clearing your cookies and setting your browser to accept cookies. Try that and see if the problem resolves itself.

#8 cinerama

cinerama
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2012 - 08:38 AM

Hi Everyready,

One last problem. When I go into Microsoft Word, And click on Open, none of my documents are there. I can find them only by going into Windows Explorer, do a search and they display under Recent Items C:\Users\Roland\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows. For the documents that are not "Recent", I have no idea where they could be.

I did a test to see where a Recent document would be saved when it's no longer Recent. I added another Word document so, the last document is not on the list of Recent anymore. It was there under Folder Recent Items C:\Users\Roland\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows before I added a new document. But, now when I do a search under C: using Windows Explorer it's gone. This doesn't make any sense. If it's not under the C drive, where could it be?

Thanks,

Roland

Edited by cinerama, 19 May 2012 - 08:56 AM.

#9 everready

everready

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2012 - 11:13 AM

Hi cinerama,

We will try the same thing we did when we restored the Favorites in IE. Close Word and open up Windows explorer and navigate to your My Documents folder. Right click on the folder and select properties. Select the previous version tab, and wait while the previous versions are gathered. Then select a recent previous version. Then click restore. This should restore your favorites with the correct location and properties.

How did the ESET scan go? Your computer is having a good number of issues since that system restore. Your files should all be intact.

Maybe you should open up a post in the Am I infected? What do I do? forum.

Hope this helps.

#10 cinerama

cinerama
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2012 - 09:57 AM

Hi everready,

Yes that fixed it. ESET did not find anything.

Thank you for everything!

Roland

#11 everready

everready

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2012 - 10:53 AM

Your are welcome.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users