Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Run as administrator

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Scottintexas

Scottintexas

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:52 AM

Posted 16 May 2012 - 08:59 AM

Hello Win 7 gurus.
I actually have two topics which I think are related, but you may want me to split them into two different posts.
1) I go to Windows Explorer to do something like rename or delete some files and I get the message that I need permission. I am the administrator! The Man, The Boss. I get so tired of this split personality business. When I set up my computer I remember telling it something like "There is only one user." or some such thing. I don't want to log in as user X. I have gone to the settings and given myself full permissions. But somehow that isn't good enough. Too many topics regarding security on the Microsoft web site end with "Contact the administrator." Well, I have contacted myself and I don't have the answer. How do I make myself the administrator?

2) When I set up I clicked an OK before I looked and left an t off my name. So I see things like "/users/Scot/..." This bugs me. How can I change it globally so everywhere Scot shows up it will be Scott? Along the same line is that "Company" is set to Toshiba. I never put company in anything. This is my computer and I don't work for Toshiba. Where is the magic setting that makes company blank?

Thanks all,
Still searching for the "Read My Mind and Do It" button.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_Xircal_*

Guest_Xircal_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 16 May 2012 - 09:49 AM

Amusing post; made me smile, but I understand your frustration.

In spite of the fact you think otherwise, you're not logged in as Administrator. There is such an account, but it's disabled by default. To enable it, open a command prompt (right click the link and choose "Run As Administrator" first), then at the prompt, type: net user administrator /active:yes and hit Enter.

You should get a message that the command was successful. Next, type: EXIT to close the prompt and then reboot. When the system boots to the logon screen, you'll see "Administrator" as an option. It doesn't have a password by default, so just hit Enter to boot to the desktop.

Obviously (I hope), by using the built in Admin account all the time, you're putting the machine at serious risk because if system is compromised, then the attacker will have unrestricted access to everything. He can even password protect the Administrator account so that you'll be unable to access it which will mean a reformat thereby wiping everything on the machine.

To preempt that, you need to configure a secure password comprising of at least 18 characters, both upper and lowercase letters, numerals and special characters i.e. those located above the numerical keys on the top row. You might also want to consider renaming that account as an additional security measure, illustrated instructions here: How to Rename the Windows 7 Built-in Administrator Account

In answer to your other query, you can as Administrator, delete your existing account and then recreate it under another name.

#3 Scottintexas

Scottintexas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2012 - 04:40 PM

Thank you for the response Xircal. If I understand you I will have to select a user every time I boot up. Either Administrator or Me. But that doesn't solve the issue. I only want one user. Me, with God power. The hundreds of folders required for each user, locating documents that were either created by user or administrator, all that kind of crap is fine if this were a network computer. But it is just my toy and work machine. I don't have national secrets on this and I don't anticipate any this week. I am sure the NSA would provide a properly protected machine when they do call on me. Although slinking hackers piss me off I don't see why they would even look at my boring system. I have hundreds of unfinished Word Documents, reports, a database of "Public" records and several attempted programs written in C#. But nothing of interest. My firewall is pretty good also. Remember when we were just dealing with DOS and we just booted up a computer? It ran fast and there were few problems. Of course, we had to program in assembly language and real graphics were unheard of. But I did make a few pretty pictures with hundreds of letters repeated on the screen in a pattern. But it's even worse than what I complain about. The Access/VBA database I built has to be told to allow the program to run. I wrote the damn thing on this computer! I suppose if I beg Microsoft they would issue me an electronic signature so I could approve my own work and it would just start up without questioning me. The solution I looked up told me to contact the administrator. Who is this administrator dude? When you ask a question on the MSDN web site the answer you always get is "Check out this KB123489765403321-00123887 article." The article talks about the problem and then ends with "Contact the administrator."

I guess I'll go your route so I can at least delete the folder I was wanting to get rid of. I'm gonna send an angry email to the administrator.
Still searching for the "Read My Mind and Do It" button.

#4 Guest_Xircal_*

Guest_Xircal_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 18 May 2012 - 02:17 AM

You can logon automatically so that the machine boots straight to the desktop if that's what you want to do. Follow instructions here: Remove the Welcome Screen in Windows 7

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users