Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Operation System Not Found

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 braze

braze

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 AM

Posted 15 May 2012 - 09:59 PM

Hello, I'm not sure if I am in the right section or not, but I don't think this is maleware or a virus.
At the startup of my computer. I get a black screen with white text saying "Operation System Not Found" it is "OPERATION" and not "OPERATING". I first found this problem after a windows update. Its not an issue getting into my computer since all I have to do is hit the enter button on the keyboard and the laptop acts like nothing happened. Whats going on? Its a little annoying getting this message, and it some what scares me that something will happen to my computer. I feel like the startup is a bit slower, but nothing major. What can I do to fix this? Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

I had the computer for a little over then a month. Heres some specs.

Dell XPS L702X
Intel ® Core ™ i7-2670QM CPU @ 2.20 GHZ
8 GB Ram
64 Bit Operating System

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:30 PM

Posted 16 May 2012 - 01:20 AM

L702x will not boot LINUX from a GPT partitioned disk

Welcome braze -
The only issues that I can find relating to your exact problems are all headed with a "similar quote" to the above one.
These are all on the Dell Forum, and as yet not one of them has come up with a solution to that message.

Searching for "Operation System Not Found" returned nothing until I added your Dell model into the search also, and this only returned 2 related items.
After the Dell people also attempted to resolve this, they had no solution at the end.

Can you add a bit more information (if known) such as the suspect update, have you done a System Restore in an attempt to fix it, and how long have you had this -

Thank You -

#3 braze

braze
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2012 - 02:55 AM

Hello noknojon,
Thanks for the quick reply. This happened about a week ago, it only happens about 50 % of the time, not every boot up. The only updates I have made to the system is the security updates through windows. (Definitions, Framework, x64 Based Systems). I have not tried to do a system restore yet, because I honestly don't think it can be my registry or any recent programs I installed (since I haven't installed anything in over 2 weeks) but i'll give it a go.

Also, its funny because I'm not trying to boot Linux at all, I do have an external drive connected to my laptop, that the system might see as a boot drive. I'll eject that and see what happens.

Thanks again!

Edited by braze, 16 May 2012 - 02:55 AM.

#4 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2012 - 02:57 AM

I do have an external drive connected to my laptop, that the system might see as a boot drive. I'll eject that and see what happens.

Spot on! I think that is likely to fix your issue.
AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#5 braze

braze
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2012 - 03:10 AM

I do have an external drive connected to my laptop, that the system might see as a boot drive. I'll eject that and see what happens.

Spot on! I think that is likely to fix your issue.

Haha yep, it worked. So far I have had 3 successful restarts without the error message. I feel foolish for not trying this earlier. My computer restarts at 1 minute and 20 seconds. Is there any way I can get it to restart any faster? I disabled multiple start-up programs, but I just want me computer to be a little faster. Any recommendations?

#6 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2012 - 04:49 AM

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic44690.html/page__view__findpost__p__240174
This list is at the start of the XP area, but it contains a lot of good basic instructions for cleaning and maintaining your system.

Items like Defragging, up to date Antivirus and Antimalware programs with regular scans, using Disk Cleanup, running sfc /scannow, running chkdsk /r, using Temp file cleaners (Not Ever Registry cleaners), delete browsing history, and many similar items like this -
Keep up with all system updates, check Device Manager for updated drivers, stay off P2P sites, do not overload with too many unneeded programs ..........
I hope these few basic ideas start you off on the right foot -

Also please read these ideas listed in this following link ->>>
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic87058.html/page__view__findpost__p__487112

Regards -

Edited by noknojon, 16 May 2012 - 06:51 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users