Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

.zap file

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 bugster0121

bugster0121

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 AM

Posted 15 May 2012 - 07:14 PM

Hi:

I was sent a file in a zap format (been trying unsuccessfully to have it resent) . Looking online it reads that it is a zero administration package file "zap File (78.7 KB)" is how it reads. I looked further but nowhere can I find out how to open it. Looking at microsoft.com its starts talking way way out of my league, i.e. .msi installing software???.. I am lost can anyone help??

Thanks

Tim Swanson

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 FlannelBack

FlannelBack

• Members
  • 327 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2012 - 01:31 AM

Try using your favorite "text" editor(Notepad++?) to open it. From Windows Explorer, select/highlight the file, right click and from the context menu "Open with". That particular type of ".zap" file is supposed to be a text file format.

#3 Guest_Xircal_*

Guest_Xircal_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 16 May 2012 - 10:19 AM

Explanation of a .zap file in case it helps: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZAP_File

#4 bugster0121

bugster0121
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2012 - 08:08 PM

Hi:

Just downloaded and installed notepad++. Went to be the zap file and opened it using notepad++ and this is how it reads:

Ÿ›ÿ9‡Q¢±@hÉy´ÿú´¯a[•ìâÑõ.A°‡\–a…Uÿêëb-JcEÐJÍc¾zrÎÄ6q=:?`iBÛ^ˆú4ÿ_}
oÓ"q­ÃzôùÚ%£ë®p!³íÿºŽ=áï•ûÄîÇÖ½Úœ>Yž|ô}úP8h¬yHÿìk¡Üg“ ÖÇ|å[w¤ÏÒC{ÌW¢WyU‹ä-5ÿê+ªÇhIñWóGŸ£Ç—B&w£~“ÒXE[žÏàñX}•$2ÏËþööÑý0ïI®KÍýÅ‹B´
5i™þ“¯à}FWÐv/™oäŸ?æ+^üíœ?”ácÏ-' qiìÄßÚó.¼}Jrßý÷?ùš£1¸íÑ.©Ê’oký˜¯IÉU ~ÑS™ÕFoODXÿ“¯Þðù<}ë4ÏÿÕ×="^}™§§ùªÜ2°[\9ó˜¯Nuq–³'ÛþÕ×5‹ºý‘Õ ·ð9ÉŒŒŒ7éò1}eú>Pÿé¾ùÿý‰´4¹²RM¨ýØ÷ ?Q*N«K§çl¯Z‚™’Eóì³-•m÷É™6P¢æ8T¡¾J V'Ê} ÛˆÀü…ðT×Dhȯ†Ô8¿?q«Å@ä¤fUí ‡ôTÎD!¥¦­uÃÃìý`vÉ6$²œ´±~Ð2ÊL_"w
aÈC¹]ñ©^~UèW ÕOxìý

Did I do something wrong? This is just a sample of it

Thanks

Tim Swanson

Edited by bugster0121, 16 May 2012 - 08:09 PM.

#5 FlannelBack

FlannelBack

• Members
  • 327 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2012 - 01:46 AM

No, don't think you did anything wrong. This is a wild guess but that looks more like the contents of a compressed and or encrypted file. If, and that's a big if, it is a ".zap" archive/compression file, the only thing I've found that works with them is a utility called FileWrangler by the CursorArts Company.

Other programs that create ".zap" files are:

ZoneAlarm Pro by Zone Labs/CheckPoint Software
WinTOTAL by A La Mode Inc. This is a real estate appraisal application.
ZAP by Rebel Software. This is a beta software that's supposed to aid in downloading and installing files.

#6 Guest_Xircal_*

Guest_Xircal_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 17 May 2012 - 02:37 AM

Hi:

Just downloaded and installed notepad++. Went to be the zap file and opened it using notepad++ and this is how it reads:

9Q@hya[.A\aUb-JcEJczr6q=:?`iB^4_}
o"qz%p!=ֽڜ>Y|}P8hyHkg |[wC{WWyU-5+hIWGǗB&w~XE[X}$20IKŋB
5i}FWv/o?+^?c-' qi.}Jr?1.ʒokIU ~SFoODX<}4="^}2[\9Nuq'5 9Ɍ71}e>P4RM ?Q*NKlZE쏳-mə6P8TJ V'} ۈTDhȯ8?q@fU TD!u`v6$~2L_"w
aC]^~UW Ox

Did I do something wrong? This is just a sample of it

Thanks

Tim Swanson

.Zap files have to published in order to be readable. You cannot simply open them in a word processor. Follow instructions at the foot of this Microsoft article: How to publish non-MSI programs with .zap files

#7 bugster0121

bugster0121
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2012 - 05:23 AM

Hi:

I feel sheepish but how do I "In User Configuration, right-click Software Installation, and then click New." Where is user configuration? When I go to user accounts and right click nothing happens.

Thanks,

Tim Swanson

#8 Guest_Xircal_*

Guest_Xircal_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 17 May 2012 - 05:47 AM

What's your operating system?

#9 bugster0121

bugster0121
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2012 - 04:34 PM

Hi:

Its windows vista (home basic)

Thanks

Tim Swanson

#10 Guest_Xircal_*

Guest_Xircal_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 18 May 2012 - 02:42 AM

Hi:

Its windows vista (home basic)

Thanks

Tim Swanson

The file should tell you which program you have to use to open it. That will be located in Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel providing you have administrative rights for it.

There is another possibility and that it that the file was created on an Apple MAC using a utility called FileWrangler. I've seen a Windows version of it on the Web, but it appears to be malware, so avoid that if anybody suggests it.

I think the best thing to do if you can't identify the program to open it with is to contact the sender and ask him what to do.

#11 bugster0121

bugster0121
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2012 - 04:53 AM

Hi:

When I double click the file it reads "The file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Create an association in the Set Associations control panel."

I tried that one of the file wrangler programs I found and it (despite saying it could but in the fine print .zap was not there when it did not open it so I removed it. Think I should also remove that notepad++ file?

Thanks anyways (the sender for some reason must not want the $250 I paid for my appraisal).

Thanks

#12 Guest_Xircal_*

Guest_Xircal_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 18 May 2012 - 06:47 AM

When I double click the file it reads "The file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Create an association in the Set Associations control panel."

That's because it isn't a file which the operating system recognizes.

I don't quite understand why anyone would send you that type of file. There are far simpler ways to send a file securely such as uploading it to Dropbox, or using any of these free utilities: http://lifehacker.com/5677725/five-best-file-encryption-tools

#13 FlannelBack

FlannelBack

• Members
  • 327 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2012 - 01:35 PM

Notepad++ is a good/safe program but if you're not going to use it, there is no reason to keep it installed. It's a good idea to uninstall anything that you don't or won't use, with the exception of crucial Windows components.

As for this ".zap" file, everything about it, in this case, is suspicious as this situation is starting to look a little vague. Just for the sake of curiosity, I would send that ".zap" file to VirusTotal to see if anything nefarious turns up.

A few questions if you'll pardon.
Did you originally request for something to be sent to you and this file is what you recieved, or was it sent from out of the blue somewhere? And:

Thanks anyways (the sender for some reason must not want the $250 I paid for my appraisal).

For an appraisal of what? None of our business really, but might help to determine what should be done.

The first impression was, this ".zap" file was to be used in the publishing of a non-MSI program. So what program is expected to be published/installed?

Make sure that money stays with you until you're certain of what is going on.

It would be nice to know the purpose of this type of ".zap" file and if it should be avoided.

#14 bugster0121

bugster0121
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2012 - 06:49 PM

Hi:

The person that sent me this file is a real estate appraisal who appraised my condo. He told me that he made a mistake in sending it to me in that format and would resend it in a pdf. I was not here when he did the appraisal but a family member was and said he seemed normal. I sent him a called and left several messages with no further response and he hasnt cashed the check that he took with him. Virustotal site is not responding right now so I will try that later.

Thanks

Tim Swanson

Edited by bugster0121, 18 May 2012 - 07:01 PM.

#15 FlannelBack

FlannelBack

• Members
  • 327 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2012 - 08:01 PM

Ah, many thanks Tim, mystery solved :thumbsup: Looks like your ".zap" file was created with something like WinTOTAL. When you finally get that .PDF file you might want to scan it before opening it, just to be on the safe side.

Good luck with the appraisal.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users