Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Continuously downloading data

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

#1 Triumph2005

Triumph2005

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 PM

Posted 15 May 2012 - 05:11 AM

I have a WinXP box that seems to be continuously downloading data. Now we pay per meg for our bandwidth this side so this is becoming a huge issue to me. I have a bandwidth monitor on that system that will show huge amounts of downloads and some uploads when I am not even at the PC. I am talking a few Gig in a weekend (this PC is at my office and not used weekends).

I have disabled all automatic updates with now result. I have the following programs installed for security.

AVG Free
Zone Alarm
SuperAnti Spyware

Additionally I have done various scans with different house call antivirus and nothing. I mostly use this system for mail and browsing the internet so the following programs are normally running.

FireFox
MS Outlook

I don't have any P2P applications installed and no SkyPe either. I have now reach the stage that I am considering formatting and doing a clean install but as a last resort I thought I would ask here for help. Right now I am only turning on the router and connecting to the internet when I need to do work on the above applications.

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Noviciate

Noviciate

• Malware Response Team
  • 5,277 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 PM

Posted 15 May 2012 - 03:50 PM

Good evening. :)

Given what you have said I would back up any important data and then reformat and reinstall. Even the merest hint of any sort of remote access to a system makes this the first choice option and given that this is a work PC you really want to be able to trust it.

So long, and thanks for all the fish.

#3 Triumph2005

Triumph2005
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 PM

Posted 16 May 2012 - 12:48 AM

Well this is what I was thinking of doing but thought I would just ask here first to see if I can find any other way I may be able to fix it before doing this

#4 Noviciate

Noviciate

• Malware Response Team
  • 5,277 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2012 - 03:30 PM

Good evening. :)

The problem is that if there is any possibility of remote access you have to assume that the worst has happened. This means that system files may have been infected, replaced, or corrupted and security settings lowered to make reinfection more easy in future - all of which will be difficult to correctly diagnose and fix. The time taken to reformat and reinstall is less than that to try and diagnose and resolve the problem and a R & R offers a better guarantee of success.

All in all, go with the fresh start as it makes the most sense.

#5 Noviciate

Noviciate

• Malware Response Team
  • 5,277 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2012 - 02:31 PM

As this issue appears to have been resolved, this thread is now closed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users