Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Building the first Desktop

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Devious Deception

Devious Deception

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:31 AM

Posted 15 May 2012 - 01:48 AM

Hello, I'm just trying to figure out if everything will work out or not for when I actually have the money to get it.

I have decided on a most of the items I should need.
Mid-Tower Case
Power Supply
Motherboard
Intel Processor
Video/Graphics Card
Memory

I'm just trying to make sure everything will work together. From what I read, the memory should work just fine on the motherboard. I'm not 100% sure if the video card will work or not but I believe there is the PCI Express 2.0 X16 slot though it just says PCI Express X16. The power supply may be a little higher than I need but I'm not sure about that. The mid-tower case I like but I'm not sure if it fits my needs.
The desktop will be for gaming i.e. Diablo 3 and streaming video.

If I'm wrong on anything please notify me and feel free to recommend anything, though the prices are pretty much what I want them to be.

Edited by Devious Deception, 15 May 2012 - 02:17 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:31 PM

Posted 15 May 2012 - 02:31 AM

This would be a better and efficient power supply.

Edited by killerx525, 15 May 2012 - 02:32 AM.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#3 Commander Gman

Commander Gman

• Members
  • 1,214 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:31 PM

Posted 15 May 2012 - 04:12 AM

Just to clarify, the Intel DH67BLB3 motherboard has a PCI Express 2.0 x16 slot

Your choice on the case is a good one however, if your interested in other mid-tower ATX cases you may also want to look at this or this.

Motherboard: MSI P35 Neo-F (Socket 775 LGA) Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.40 Ghz Kentsfield Chipset: Intel P35 Graphics Card: Nvidia Geforce GT 440 Memory: 2x 2GB DDR2 800 RAM Storage: 1x IDE 80GB, 1x SATA II 500 GB, 1x External 500GB HD Power Supply: 600W Power supply Monitor: Dual screen set-up Casing: Mini-ATX Fan(s): 1x 80mm silent fan OS: Windows XP SP3

#4 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:31 AM

Posted 15 May 2012 - 06:44 AM

You will need an operating system, a disc drive, and a hard drive too.

3939.png

#5 Devious Deception

Devious Deception
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2012 - 11:43 AM

This would be a better and efficient power supply.

Just to clarify, the Intel DH67BLB3 motherboard has a PCI Express 2.0 x16 slot

Your choice on the case is a good one however, if your interested in other mid-tower ATX cases you may also want to look at this or this.

You will need an operating system, a disc drive, and a hard drive too.

@ Killer ~ Ok thanks for that.

@ Gman ~ Ok good to know I saw it on another site saying that the other express slot was 2.0 too, but that's the one that's important no? I checked out the features on the cases. I think I'll actually switch over to the first this. The one with the blue LED 120mm fan. Thanks for that one.

@ DJB ~ I may or may not need them. I'm currently running on a desktop right now and I have a decent sized hard drive and disk drive I can hopefully just switch over. As for the OS, I happen to have a finely scratched up XP Pro (SP2) disc I'm hoping will work. (Code included)

#6 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:31 AM

Posted 15 May 2012 - 05:12 PM

Unless you have no cash on hand, you will be better served with a modern OS. XP will be leaving support in 2014, DirectX 10 and 11 will not work in XP, and later versions of Windows have better multicore support. Moreover, unless you are using the 64-bit version of XP, you will not be able to use all 4GB of RAM. XP's implementation of 64-bit is very poor in comparision to later versions of Windows. If your hard drive is older than five years, consider replacing it. Unless it's an SSD.

3939.png

#7 Devious Deception

Devious Deception
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2012 - 07:21 PM

Unless you have no cash on hand, you will be better served with a modern OS. XP will be leaving support in 2014, DirectX 10 and 11 will not work in XP, and later versions of Windows have better multicore support. Moreover, unless you are using the 64-bit version of XP, you will not be able to use all 4GB of RAM. XP's implementation of 64-bit is very poor in comparision to later versions of Windows. If your hard drive is older than five years, consider replacing it. Unless it's an SSD.

Lol. Ya I have a severe lack of money but I'll keep that in mind. I'll eventually have to upgrade anyways.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users