Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Weird Random Shutdown Problem

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 johnpants

johnpants

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 AM

Posted 15 May 2012 - 12:50 AM

My laptop is a HP Pavilion dv6 running Windows 7 64-bit.

Right. So my laptop likes to randomly just turn off while it's unplugged and running just on battery power. It's a 12-cell battery and was functioning just fine until a few months ago when this problem arose. Normally I would just dismiss this as a bad battery but the charge shown in both Windows and on the LED display on the battery itself show a decent amount of charge every time. If the computer dies like this it cannot be restarted until it has cooled all the way down and recharged at least a little. Otherwise it just attempts to boot up but immediately dies before getting to the splash screen.
Edit: I've noticed the shutoff seems to occur more frequently when the computer is doing something more strenuous like opening new programs, installing things, etc.

Also when the power cord is plugged in instead of just dying I get a black screen (as in the screen's off, not just blank). The sound light is white and the wireless light is orange and the NUM lock light is also on. From here all I can do is hold the power button down until it powers off.

When I have the cord plugged in and no battery I don't even get to the HP splash screen. I just get a black screen, the same light configuration as above but the NUM and CAPS lock lights blink twice to indicate a BIOS corruption failure.

Anyone have any ideas? I'm pretty much tapped.

Things I've tried:
-removing the battery and cord and holding down the power button to flush out excess power or whatever
-taking the CMOS battery out and then putting it back in again
-using different power cords

Any input would be extremely helpful. Thanks in advance.

Edited by johnpants, 15 May 2012 - 01:46 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 AM

Posted 17 May 2012 - 05:48 PM

HP Notebooks periodic cleaning suggestion
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic441193.html/page__p__2583145#entry2583145

It could be overheating. If so waste no time getting it cleaned as continued overheating is a bad thing.

How does the air coming out of feel, cool, warm, hot? Is the fan really racing?

Good Luck
Roger

And just for the future if this happens to you.
Help I've spilled my coffee on my notebook! (Other liquids too.)
http://h30458.www3.hp.com/ww/en/ent/1027542.html

Edited by rotor123, 17 May 2012 - 05:49 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 johnpants

johnpants
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2012 - 01:12 AM

I thought it may have been overheating as well. I sprayed compressed air into the vents just a few days ago and while that did make it run cooler it didn't seem to really affect this problem. The air coming out of the vent is kinda warm I guess. The fan isn't running very quickly though and Speccy shows that the CPU is at 56 degrees Celsius right now.

I considered troubleshooting with different batteries. Do you think that could help?

Edit: I should mention that usually when the computer is running on battery power and I plug in a power cord the screen turns black and such. This happens regardless of temperature or what the computer is doing.

Edited by johnpants, 18 May 2012 - 01:35 AM.

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 AM

Posted 18 May 2012 - 10:22 AM

Well the turning off quicker when the computer is doing things sounded like overheating, If the cleaning didn't help then it sounds like a hardware problem.

CPU is 56 idling? That sounds a little high, depends on what the CPU is of course. What does it give for other temperature readings, Northbridge or GPU? If the fan is running loud enough to hear then it is still running hot. Sometimes you need to pull them apart and clean. HP does provide the service manuals on its website to all. I do not recommend taking it apart as some of the connectors can be very delicate.

I've seen laptops with a blanket of dust blocking the heatsink fins.

Just curious Intel or AMD CPU, Nvidia graphics or Intel.

Please post the entire model number, It will be on the bottom and be something like dv6-3939US for example.

You could try putting the exact model number into Google and the word problems and get a feel for how common (Widespread) this problem is.

It is sounding like a problem in the battery circuit.

Just from curiosity, what happens if you close the screen, then plug in the power cord and reopen the screen?

Good Luck
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#5 johnpants

johnpants
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2012 - 05:25 PM

Model is dv6-2144nr. It has an AMD Turion II M520 processor and an ATI Radeon HD 4650 graphics card. And after closing the lid and putting the computer sleep, plugging it in and opening it back up I got the lights blinking twice and a blank screen. The temperatures of the CPU and motherboard were both 55 degrees and the hard drive was 34 before I tried this. After it failed and I booted the computer again the CPU and motherboard had shot up to 74 degrees but by now have cooled down to 62.

My guess now is that somehow the power cord is overloading the system or something and that causes it to crash.

#6 johnpants

johnpants
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2012 - 01:32 AM

Update: After leaving it plugged in for about 23 hours I tried to start it from battery power and it crashed after the splash screen as if it was still plugged in. I had to hit ESC to get to the startup menu and continue from there to get it to work.

#7 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 AM

Posted 21 May 2012 - 04:37 AM

Maybe you should consider a good laptop cooling pad? I have one from CoolerMaster that keeps my Dell cool. But then again, I use my laptop for extended periods of time.

Moreover, cooling pads aren't very expensive either.
ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

#8 johnpants

johnpants
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2012 - 11:55 AM

I bought a cooling pad, and while that helps with the heat problem (CPU now idles at 46 degrees Celsius) it didn't help with the random shut downs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users