Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

After cleaning Computer doesn't turn on

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Peter16

Peter16

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 PM

Posted 15 May 2012 - 12:04 AM

Hi guys, I come here every year or two when I have problems and you guys have not failed me yet.

I have a 4 year old computer which was starting to give me issues in the last few days. I was getting a NVIDIO device driver error which would result in my computer freezing for a split second, then the monitors going black, and then coming back on. Over the last few days this was happening more regularly.

Occasionally the computer would freeze completely when the monitors went black and I would have to manually reboot.

Another issue I've been having for a longer time is that Windows Media Player would crash.

A third issue is lately when I shut down the computer it would install updates... which is normal, except now the updates would be every night. I suspect it is the same update, but the update is failing for some reason.

Anyway, so I figured that I hadn't cleaned the dust out of my tower for a while, and sure enough the dust was ridiculous. So I tried to blow dust out with lung power, but gave up and got a hand-held vacuum with a long plastic nose. I was careful not to touch anything. It wasnt doing that great of a job so I got my wife's hairdryer which worked much better. I used cold air.

But now, after I plugged every back in, the computer won't turn on. I'm obviously worried I fried the power supply or something. I can see when I plug in the power cord that there is blue lights blinking on the motherboard, but the actual power button does nothing when pressed.

What the bleep did I do?

Thanks for reading.

Peter

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Peter16

Peter16
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 PM

Posted 15 May 2012 - 01:08 AM

So I disconnected the power cord to look at the connections, and afterwards plugged it back in and now the motherboard light isn't on anymore.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users