Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HDD problem

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 tryhard

tryhard

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:37 AM

Posted 14 May 2012 - 05:11 PM

Hello everyone

Recently I have been getting an error message advising me that one of my hard drives is in condition bad. I have 3 hdd's installed in my PC and am running windows vista. I know which of the hdd's that is in poor conditiion and have removed all data from it, either by deletion or transfer. I opened the PC and disconnected the hdd only to be advised on startup that it could not find "boot.exe", which is wierd because the operating system is on another disk.

Thought about this for a while and maybe I have done the wrong thing by not disabling the disk in the bios first, so I reconnected the disk and tried to restart, only the problem now is it wont start, well it kind of starts but after maybe 2 or 3 seconds it just shuts down again.

Do you guys have any thoughts about this or have I cooked it?

Cheers

Dave

Mod Edit: Moved from Am I Infected to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

Edited by hamluis, 19 May 2012 - 08:22 PM.
Moved from Internal Hardware to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,416 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:37 PM

Posted 14 May 2012 - 07:09 PM

<<I opened the PC and disconnected the hdd only to be advised on startup that it could not find "boot.exe", which is wierd because the operating system is on another disk.>>

That looks like malware, moving this to Am I Infected forum.

Louis

#3 tryhard

tryhard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2012 - 05:25 PM

Hi, I have posted this problem some time ago, link http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic453643.html. While I have been waiting for assistance I have investigated further and have found my hdd to be defective. My problem now is to transfer the info and data from this crook hdd to a new one. Any assistance would be much apreciated.

Thanks

Dave

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,416 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2012 - 08:13 PM

Merged posts and moved to Internal Hardware from AII.

Sorry for my mistake :).

Louis

#5 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:37 AM

Posted 19 May 2012 - 08:34 PM

When you turn on your Computer do you seen anything from monitor?

:guitar: Take me to a place where time is frozen
You don't have to close your eyes to dream :busy:
You can find escape inside this moment :smash:
And I will follow  :whistle:

#6 tryhard

tryhard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2012 - 12:42 AM

Hi abauw, When I switch on, light on the pc come on for about 2 or 3 secs, not long enough for splash screen to appear on the monitor.

Dave

#7 tryhard

tryhard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2012 - 04:28 PM

Hi Guys, since last speaking to you, I have replaced my hdd, recovered all of my data, got the machine up and running again. The only problem noticed was a high pitched squeal coming from the power supply, it would appear that two aluminium capacitor covers had fallen off and were jamming the fan, maybe I have overheated the thing at some time, anyway removed them and now the whole thing is running sweet as a nut.

I guess you can kill this thread now.

Dave

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,416 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2012 - 05:14 PM

Thanks for posting that feedback...glad to know that you finally arrived at cause/effect and have it now sorted...nice work :thumbsup: .

Happy computing :).

Louis

#9 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 PM

Posted 29 May 2012 - 12:11 PM

Hi Guys, since last speaking to you, I have replaced my hdd, recovered all of my data, got the machine up and running again. The only problem noticed was a high pitched squeal coming from the power supply, it would appear that two aluminium capacitor covers had fallen off and were jamming the fan, maybe I have overheated the thing at some time, anyway removed them and now the whole thing is running sweet as a nut.

I guess you can kill this thread now.

Dave

I hope you replaced that power supply, the blown capacitors and squeal indicate that the power supply is bad.

It will damage something else sooner or later. If the DC coming out is being poorly filtered because of the blown capacitors the the capacitors on the motherboard are being overworked and will have a shortened life.

The Squeal in the power supply indicates that something is being worked out of specification.

The fear with a bad power supply is that the voltages can be off. I have seen a bad power supply that went. When it went there was nothing usable in that computer except the metal case. The bad power supply killed all the drives, Al the memory, The CPU & Motherboard as well as the add in cards.

My suggestion is to stop using it and pull the plug on it until you replace the power supply.

The catastrophic failure of the capacitors is a bad sign.
If they were not needed do you think the manufacturer would have spent the money on them?

Good Luck
Roger

Edited by rotor123, 29 May 2012 - 05:23 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#10 tryhard

tryhard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2012 - 04:21 PM

Hi Roger, Good point, I never really looked at it in that light. So there is every possibility that the crook power supply may have hastened the demise of my HDD. Anyway no problem I have shut down the pc and have ordered a new power supply, the existing one is a 500w and the new one will be a 550w, hopefully that should not cause any problems.

Thankyou for your response on this matter, and as I said earlier any assistance is gratefully accepted.

Cheers

Dave

#11 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 PM

Posted 29 May 2012 - 05:12 PM

Glad to see you got my reply.

Good Luck
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users