Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Processor or Battery problem?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Airanth

Airanth

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 AM

Posted 14 May 2012 - 02:54 PM

I recently noticed that when I use my laptop on battery power, I get 4 instances of "Kernel-Processor-Power" in Event Viewer every time I turn on my laptop (ID 37 (7): The speed of processor 0 in group 0 is being limited by system firmware. The processor has been in this reduced performance state for 71 seconds since the last report). This never happened before. When I'm at home, I usually take the battery out and run the laptop on AC power, in which case I do not get these errors. This makes me think that my battery may be faulty.

Additional notes: My ASUS laptop is only 4 months old running Windows 7 and Intel processor. I Googled this error and I have made sure that my BIOS is up-to-date, that the power settings are consistent, and that my battery and laptop connection is dust-free. It was also suggested that I look into BIOS settings and although I don't remember exactly what I was looking for, I know that I did not have such settings (I think it was Intel EIST). I don't know when exactly I started getting these errors, but I know for a fact that they did not exist awhile back. Is this anything I should be worried about? Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:01 PM

Posted 14 May 2012 - 03:28 PM

You should discuss this issue with Asus if the computer is under warranty. From the info in link below you have
a 2 year or 3 year warranty depending on model.
ASUS 360 Notebook Service Program
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 Airanth

Airanth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 AM

Posted 15 May 2012 - 01:53 AM

Thanks for your response, but I managed to fix it. When I was adjusting the power settings, I only changed the "maximum and minimum processor states" to be the same for both AC and battery. This was done through Windows 7 built-in power management. However, I use Power4Gear (power management software for ASUS) and I overlooked "processor control", which was set to moderate battery saving.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users