Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HDD failure or.....?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 VirtuosoAXP

VirtuosoAXP

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:33 AM

Posted 14 May 2012 - 12:25 PM

Hello everyone,

So recently I was using my laptop when out of the blue (bad pun) I got a BSOD talking about a physical memory dump. When I tried to restart it I receive a message saying reboot and select proper boot device. Some quick googling makes it sound like it could the hard drive. The thing that is confusing me the most, however, is that once in a while it will boot up and act like nothing is wrong. Any kind of small bump will cause it to blue screen again. Just closing the lid is enough to cause it. Could it be a loose cable or something like that?

A bit of background: Asus g50vt running vista 64. The laptop is about 3 years old but the hard drive is only a year as it was replaced. A couple months ago the motherboard was also replaced. If you need anymore info let me know.

Thanks in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 AM

Posted 14 May 2012 - 05:10 PM

Hi,
The one thing I can think of to try is see if the hard drive is properly attached and secured since it was replaced.
About the only laptops I've seen that had a hard drive cable were a few Toshiba models.

Losing connectivity with the boot hard drive will definitely crash windows every time.

The thing that is confusing me the most, however, is that once in a while it will boot up and act like nothing is wrong. Any kind of small bump will cause it to blue screen again.

This makes it sound as if the drive is barely making contact.

Good Luck
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 VirtuosoAXP

VirtuosoAXP
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:33 AM

Posted 28 May 2012 - 10:58 PM

AH okay so a friend of mine who has a computer repair shop opened my laptop up and found the problem. When a certain nerd brigade at a certain electronics retailer replaced the hard drive (that they caused to crash btw) they did not screw it in properly. Since it was lacking the proper screws it eventually fell out of place and was not making a proper connection. Problem solved.

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 AM

Posted 29 May 2012 - 12:04 PM

I'm surprised they went that far. The Nerd Brigade doesn't really do hardware. They usually send laptops to their repair center if you mean who I think you mean.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users