Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Crawling Speed. Task Manager shows 100% CPU Usage

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Kunie

Kunie

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:54 PM

Posted 14 May 2012 - 02:39 AM

Hi guys,

I've got this problem 2 days ago where my PC started slowing down and i've been getting random BSODs mainly "Special Pools Detected etc & Memory Management" When i start up the PC its slow and it takes alot longer to just open even a folder. I've tried searching for such problems and i've tried almost everything i know to try and fix this but i guess i'm still in-experienced when it comes to problems like this.

It happened 2 days ago after i played an online game i got a BSOD and couldn't remember what it was. So i restarted and the problem started. The most recent hardware change was that i changed my RAM from 4gb to 8gb and nothing else. I did not install any new programs recently. So initially i thought it might be the RAM causing this problem so i changed it back to the ones i had previously. Here are the specs of my PC.

Processor : Intel® Core™2 Duo CPU E7500 @2.93GHz 2.93Ghz
Installed Memory (RAM) : 4.00GB (I have 2x 4GB Rams from Cosair that i got from my friend and it was working fine on his computers so i do not know if its the Rams)
System Type : 64-bit Operating System
Windows 7 Home Premium
Service Pack 1

Anyway i've scanned the PC using Avira, Spybot & Avast and there were 0 findings so i hope i am right to assume that my computer has not been infected with malware/spyware. But still in the task manager, the CPU Usage % and Memory Usage shoots up whenever i do any sort of action, eg. Refresh on the desktop, Opening a folder, Opening the browser etc.

I've tried booting into safe mode. And the CPU usage was minimal compared to normal but i couldn't detect what was causing this problem. In the task manager, explorer.exe & svchost.exe were the top memory users. I've tried msconfig, disabled all the startups, but still i am having the same problem. So to troubleshoot this, i am unsure of where to start because there are too many methods on the web and i've tried several but they are of no help.

Will someone kindly please recommend me a way to help me find the source of this problem to fix it? I've been going at it for more than a day now and i feel desperate having to see that my PC is running at such a horrible speed right now.

Thanks in advance.
Ray

Edited by Kunie, 14 May 2012 - 02:42 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Tek022

Tek022

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:54 AM

Posted 15 May 2012 - 01:00 AM

Use Process Explorer to provide an overview of your running processes.

• Download the .zip file and extract its contents to your desktop.
  • Double-click procexp.exe.
    • For Vista/7 users: Click File > Show Details for All Processes. Process Explorer will restart.
  • Click View > Select Columns and check the Command Line box. Click OK.
  • Try to reproduce the problematic behavior. Otherwise, use the computer normally until it happens on its own.
    • When you see the problem beginning to happen, click the Process Explorer taskbar button and immediately press the Space Bar to pause the program.
      Do not wait for the program window to appear before pressing the Space Bar.
  • Click File > Save As.... Save to your desktop as procexp.txt.
  • In this thread, click Add Reply and use the Attachments section to attach the .txt file to your next reply.
Note: Do not unpause or exit Process Explorer unless directed to.

Also, I'd like to see those BSODs.

Use BlueScreenView (BSV) to provide details about your error messages.

• Download the .zip file and extract its contents to your desktop.
  • On the desktop, double-click BlueScreenView.
  • After BSV completes its scan, click Edit > Select All.
  • Click File > Save Selected Items and save the report to your desktop as BSOD.txt
  • Open BSOD.txt in Notepad and copy/paste all of its content to your next reply.

Edited by Tek022, 15 May 2012 - 01:02 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users