Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ubuntu error - Ubuntu Software Center fails to repair

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 absoluteajk

absoluteajk

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 AM

Posted 14 May 2012 - 12:17 AM

Hi, I'm a beginner at using linux/ubuntu. I am using Ubuntu 12.04 64-bit with Gnome 3. I've tried installing prozilla using PPA repositories. It didn't install and gave me the following error message:

Unpacking prozilla (from .../prozilla_2.0.4~precisebuild1-0tahutek1_amd64.deb) ...
dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/prozilla_2.0.4~precisebuild1-0tahutek1_amd64.deb (--unpack):
trying to overwrite '/usr/share/locale/locale.alias', which is also in package locales 2.13+git20120306-3
Errors were encountered while processing:
/var/cache/apt/archives/prozilla_2.0.4~precisebuild1-0tahutek1_amd64.deb
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

I tried opening Ubuntu Software Center and repairing the packages, but it failed and gave me this:

installArchives() failed: (Reading database ...
(Reading database ... 5%
(Reading database ... 10%
(Reading database ... 15%
(Reading database ... 20%
(Reading database ... 25%
(Reading database ... 30%
(Reading database ... 35%
(Reading database ... 40%
(Reading database ... 45%
(Reading database ... 50%
(Reading database ... 55%
(Reading database ... 60%
(Reading database ... 65%
(Reading database ... 70%
(Reading database ... 75%
(Reading database ... 80%
(Reading database ... 85%
(Reading database ... 90%
(Reading database ... 95%
(Reading database ... 100%
(Reading database ... 208327 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking prozilla (from .../prozilla_2.0.4~precisebuild1-0tahutek1_amd64.deb) ...
dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/prozilla_2.0.4~precisebuild1-0tahutek1_amd64.deb (--unpack):
trying to overwrite '/usr/share/locale/locale.alias', which is also in package locales 2.13+git20120306-3
No apport report written because MaxReports is reached already
Errors were encountered while processing:
/var/cache/apt/archives/prozilla_2.0.4~precisebuild1-0tahutek1_amd64.deb
Error in function:
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of apt-proz:
apt-proz depends on prozilla; however:
Package prozilla is not installed.
dpkg: error processing apt-proz (--configure):
dependency problems - leaving unconfigured

If anyone can help I'd appreciate it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 anothercletus

anothercletus

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2012 - 01:47 AM

both of those are reporting the same error and the specifics aren't very clear to me either. i suspect the package has a cold or possibly the flying pig flu if you believe the cdc. i've been using ubuntu since 8.04 and i had never heard of "prozilla". from a cursory search it appears this is a fork of the original project possibly only maintained by the dev or devs contributing to this ppa. furthermore all the projects in that ppa appear(at first glance) to be of questionable maturity, but that is what ppa's are for. they are primarily for devs to learn on and develop their skills and software. without trying to sound like a stereotypical linux geek I would question your need for a "download accelerator" myself. not to cast aspersions on this project, but in general i would contend that gimmicky software that masks it's true crapulance by fostering the ignorance of it's users belongs on windows. the point: while you are trying to get your feet wet i would stay out of the ppa's unless it is software you need to make a brand new piece of hardware work and i would look at the dev's other projects to try to guage his/her work as best you can. for bittorrent use transmission. for ftp use filezilla or other reputable software. for http downloading use your browser.in linux you don't have all kinds of programs dialing home in the background and fighting over your internet connection. the bottleneck is most likely your internet connection and no software wizardry is going to fix that. if you remain unphased i would suggest contacting that dev. you can also post in the ubuntu forums. one of the daunting things about starting to use linux is you actually have to learn what a piece of software's overall function is(not that you don't, just speaking from my own experience) as opposed to MS brand names of inferior products. My point being, you must first learn what the established projects are and how they all fit together. once you learn that it's easy to make your computer do anything you need it to do and there are plenty of programs that work well, too. Depending on how new you are i would've also suggested starting with unity and letting it stick for a while. changing desktops is not completely trivial for new users and you can cause complications that you might not fully understand. but, good luck. if you can stick it out for a few months you'll never look back. or if you do it will be like looking back on a middle school yearbook. :)

#3 absoluteajk

absoluteajk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2012 - 10:53 PM

I appreciate your response. I did manage to fix it on my own through trial and error (probably not smart as a beginner, but I learned something). I used sudo apt-get purge apt-proz. That took care of the error.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users