Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to access internet - Windows services problem

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 JimT343

JimT343

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 AM

Posted 13 May 2012 - 10:30 PM

Hi, I'm hoping someone can help with this.

I have a PC running Windows XP Pro SP3, and I can't access the internet at all. I've tried different browsers, like Firefox & Chrome, with the same result. I can't even access the setup page for my DSL modem, which is connected via Ethernet cable. Device Manager says my network card is working properly and connected.

Now here's the weird bit: some programs CAN access the internet on my computer. I have a MagicJack (a VOIP telephone jack that connects to my computer via USB, so the computer has to be on and connected to the internet in order to make calls), and it works to make & take calls just fine. I also tried running fss.exe, and it reports that both Yahoo and Google IP addresses are accessible.

The part about Windows services actually started (or at least I first noticed it) with my printer. I kept getting errors when trying to print that the print spooler service was not running. I had to go into services.msc and turn it on manually. I've had to do that several times. So I'm wondering if the problem with the internet is also a services issue, but I don't know which services to look at. I also tried using Driveimage XML to do a backup of my hard drive on an external HDD but the Windows Shadow Services is not running so DIX reports that the backup may be corrupted. I tried manually restarting Shadow Services in services.msc but it will only run for less than a minute and then stops (according to the Processes tab in Windows Task Manager).

I've run scans on my computer - I use Avast antivirus and ZoneAlarm firewall; I ran a full scan with Avast and it didn't pick up the problem; I also got the latest version of Malwarebyte's Anti-Malware (on the computer I'm using now) and transferred it to my computer and ran a full scan; it found nothing.

Last but not least, to ensure that this was not a hardware issue, I did a clean install of Windows XP on an older 4 GB HDD I have lying around and booted the computer with that drive, and I can access the internet just fine. My Win XP disk is an OEM disk, though, so I can't reinstall Windows without completely wiping my hard drive, which I'd rather not do, especially since I'm not sure if my backup is any good (if the computer is infected, I'm just backing up the infection too).

Edited to add: System Restore doesn't work either; it says I have no restore points.

Any help you can give would be most appreciated.

Edited by JimT343, 13 May 2012 - 10:34 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 AM

Posted 13 May 2012 - 11:32 PM

Can you connect to internet in safemode with networking?

Zone alarm firewall is known to cause internet issues.Uninstall it and check

good luck

#3 JimT343

JimT343
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2012 - 09:05 PM

Well, now I feel silly.

You're right, as soon as I disabled ZoneAlarm I was able to access the internet. This is odd because I've been using ZoneAlarm for years, and I get an error message when trying to update it, which made me think that ZoneAlarm couldn't access the internet either.

I uninstalled ZoneAlarm and activated the Windows firewall, but is there a better option? Is there a way to fix ZoneAlarm so it works again? I've already gone through their help files for repairing internet access with no luck.

Do you have any idea why my Windows services (especially the Shadow Copy Service) won't run?

Thanks for your help.

#4 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2012 - 09:11 PM

Is there a way to fix ZoneAlarm so it works again? I've already gone through their help files for repairing internet access with no luck.

Try reinstalling it

Do you have any idea why my Windows services (especially the Shadow Copy Service) won't run?

what happens when you start it?

#5 JimT343

JimT343
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2012 - 09:31 PM

>>Do you have any idea why my Windows services (especially the Shadow Copy Service) won't run?

>>what happens when you start it?

I don't get any Windows error messages when I start it; per DIX's error message it is not running. I tried starting the service while I had Task Manager open to the Processes tab, sorted by file name so it wouldn't move around. When I start it, vsscv.exe appears in task manager for a few seconds and then disappears from the list. If I start the service and try to quickly start the DIX backup, even before vsscv.exe disappears from the list, DIX reports that the Shadow Copy Service is not running.

Edited to add: I tried to add a screenshot but I wasn't able to. I just tried again to get the exact error message, and now vsscv.exe is still in Task Manager (it doesn't disappear) but I still get this error message:

"Could not initialize Windows Volume Shadow Service (VSS).
Code: ERROR 8000FFFF.
Make sure VSSVC.EXE is running in your task manager.
Click Help for more information."

When I click "OK" I get:

"Volume could not be properly locked.
You can still continue but the backup image might be damaged."

Edited by JimT343, 14 May 2012 - 09:48 PM.

#6 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2012 - 02:00 AM

Press Windows+R key and type

services.msc and click ok

Make sure these two services are started

MS Software Shadow Copy Provider & Volume Shadow Copy

Open command prompt as administrator and run these commands(ignore errors)

cd /d %windir%\system32
Net stop vss
Net stop swprv
regsvr32 ole32.dll
regsvr32 oleaut32.dll
regsvr32 vss_ps.dll
vssvc /register
regsvr32 /i swprv.dll
regsvr32 /i eventcls.dll
regsvr32 es.dll
regsvr32 stdprov.dll
regsvr32 vssui.dll
regsvr32 msxml.dll
regsvr32 msxml3.dll
regsvr32 msxml4.dll
Net start vss
Net start swprv

Restart the PC and see if it works

good luck

#7 JimT343

JimT343
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2012 - 08:38 AM

I'm having trouble right off the bat. MS Software Shadow Copy Provider & Volume Shadow Copy were both stopped; MS Software Shadow Copy Provider was set to "Disabled"; Volume Shadow Copy is set to "automatic" but not started. I was able to start Volume Shadow Copy but NOT MS Software Shadow Copy Provider. I tried to set MS Software Shadow Copy Provider to both "automatic" & "manual" (I clicked "apply" after each change"), but when I try to start it I get this error message: "Could not start the MS Software Shadow Copy Provider service on Local Computer. Error 1067: The process terminated unexpectedly." I tried both with and without the Volume Shadow Copy service started.

Should I continue with the rest of the instructions and try again, or do I need to have MS Software Shadow Copy Provider running first?

Thanks!

#8 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2012 - 08:59 AM

Now we know the actual cause :)

Go to services again and make sure

DCOM SERVER PROCESS LAUNCHER
RPC ENDPOINT MAPPER

services are started.Try to start microsoft shadow copy service again

good luck

#9 JimT343

JimT343
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2012 - 11:09 PM

I opened Services.msc. DOM SERVER PROCESS LAUNCHER was already started. I don't see RPC ENDPOINT MAPPER anywhere in the services window. I tried using the command prompt as the Windows help center suggests and got the error message: " 'dcdiag' is not recognized as an internal or external command, external command or a batch file."
edited to add: I tried everything Windows said to try.
Edited to add: I can't find RPC Endpoint Mapper anywhere.

Edited by JimT343, 15 May 2012 - 11:21 PM.

#10 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2012 - 04:37 AM

I'm sorry we dont have an RPC endpoint mapper in XP.

Follow the next step on registering the DLL files

Do a clean boot

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310353

restart the PC and try to start the microsoft shadow copy service

Also let me know the status of COM+Event system service

good luck

#11 JimT343

JimT343
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2012 - 07:49 AM

Hi -

The COM+Event system service is set to "Disabled".

I'll try the clean boot tonight.

Thanks.

#12 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2012 - 07:51 AM

The COM+Event system service is set to "Disabled".

Set it to automatic and start it,restart the PC and try to start volume shadow copy service & microsoft shadow copy provider

Edited by narenxp, 17 May 2012 - 07:54 AM.

#13 JimT343

JimT343
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2012 - 10:04 PM

I set the COM+Event system service to automatic and started it; I was able to restart Volume Shadow Copy but not MS Software Shadow Copy Provider service.

I went through the instructions for the clean boot and I received this error message:

"An Access Denied error was returned while attempting to change a service. You may need to long on using an Administrator account to make the specified changes."

The only thing is, I am logged in with my Administrator account. In MSconfig, in the "Startup" tab, "avastUI" is the only thing still checked. When I try to uncheck it and click "Apply" I get the above error message again.

At any rate, after the clean boot I checked in Services.msc, and both the COM+Event system service and Volume Shadow Copy service are started. The MS Software Shadow Copy Provider service is set to "Automatic" but not started; when I tried to start it I got the same error message as before: "Could not start the MS Software Shadow Copy Provider service on Local Computer. Error 1067: The process terminated unexpectedly."

I went back to Services.msc, stopped the avast! Antivirus service, and tried to start the MS Software Shadow Copy Provider service with the same result as above.

I tried running DIX again and this time the error message was slightly different: "Could not initialize Windows Volume Shadow Service (VSS).
Code: ERROR 8004230F."

Edited by JimT343, 17 May 2012 - 10:05 PM.

#14 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2012 - 10:16 PM

Disable your security softwares and try to start MS software shadow copy service.If that doesnt work,try this

download

subinacl

Install it,do not change the default location

Press WINDOWS+R key and type

cmd and click ok and run this command and press ENTER

cd /d "%ProgramFiles%\Windows Resource Kits\Tools"

Now copy these commands together and paste it in command window

subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CURRENT_USER /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f
subinacl /subdirectories %SystemDrive%\ /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f

The command should start running(press ENTER key if it stops in the middle),restart the PC after command completes

Try to start ms software shadow copy service now

good luck

Edited by narenxp, 17 May 2012 - 10:17 PM.

#15 JimT343

JimT343
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2012 - 08:02 AM

There is still no joy in Mudville. I was able to get the clean boot to work by running msconfig in safe mode and then rebooting, but I am still unable to get the MS Software Shadow Copy Provider service to start. With the clean boot, Avast! didn't run, but I also tried disabling it (before I was able to get the clean boot to work) with the same result.

I got a bunch of errors when running subinacl. I was not able to get all of them written down, but here are a couple of examples:

When I ran the command subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f, I received this message in the red box at the top of the command prompt window:

"Last Failed: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SECURITY\Policy\Secrets\SAI : 2 The system canno"
Last Failed: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Per" (the rest of the message scrolled out of the command prompt window so I couldn't see it all - there were other messages like this when I ran the other commands but I wasn't quick enough to get them all written down.)

When I ran the command subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CURRENT_USER /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f, I received this message in the red box at the top of the command prompt window:

"Last Failed: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\AVAST Software\Avast - RegSetKeySecurity"
Then the following appeared in the window after it finished running:

"ugh quota is available to process this command.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunEx: 6 : Unable to
enumerate subkeys
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce : 1816 Not e
nough quota is available to process this command.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce: 6 : Unable
to enumerate subkeys
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx : 1816 Not
enough quota is available to process this command." It went on like that for page after page.

I tried running subinacl in my adminstrator account and again in safe mode, but I'm still unable to start the MS Software Shadow Copy Provider service.

Edited by JimT343, 22 May 2012 - 08:05 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users