Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

acer will not boot and power cycles

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 lenoreg

lenoreg

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 PM

Posted 13 May 2012 - 10:12 PM

hello i am having issues repairing my daughters acer lp. she believes it is a virus, the lp will start up and goes into the windows boot manager window. status:0xc000000f i am unable to go into any safe mode and once i try different sorts of bootups the lp will start power cycling itself/it does work fine if i run a scanner and or it's just sitting there. i have downloaded avg usb scanner but find it a little confusing. it says there are errors but no viruses as of yet.
i've also tried creating a usb boot.ini but that didn't work and started confusing me*i probably did that wrong/i read xp would work because it was probably the boot.ini that was corrupted*, i also looked into creating a iso disk but atm all i ahve to work with is a 2g usb flash drive or external harddrive.
i am thinking it might possibly be registry error and wondering if there is a usb bootable program i can use? i would appreciate any help at all feels like i'm going in circles at this point.

lenore

Edited by hamluis, 15 May 2012 - 03:09 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 lenoreg

lenoreg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2012 - 05:09 PM

adding i've tried to get the kaspersky rescue disk but receiving a error message unable to locate grub.exe...little to advanced for me with the code that needs to be entered. i tried installing grub onto usb but that didn't work.

#3 lenoreg

lenoreg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2012 - 05:30 PM

tried reseting bios

#4 Tek022

Tek022

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2012 - 01:07 AM

Can I get some specs on the laptop?

What version of Windows and what hardware is installed?

#5 lenoreg

lenoreg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2012 - 07:37 AM

Operating System: windows 7 Computer: acer aspire 5742z CPU: p6100 @2.00ghz Ram: 2g Storage: western digital 320gb Power Supply: as10d61 (battery model)

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,280 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2012 - 03:08 PM

Please...Publish a Snapshot using Speccy - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic323892.html/page__p__1797792#entry1797792 , which will provide us with more data re your system.

<<...i am having issues repairing my daughters acer lp. she believes it is a virus...>>

Moved from Win 7 to Am I Infected.

Louis

#7 lenoreg

lenoreg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2012 - 03:14 PM

can i run that from usb? i pulled the informatoin from that f2 screen.

ok i've been attempting to run portable programs from a usb but keep getting syslinux errors. only one i've been able to run so far has been the avg recovery program.

Edited by lenoreg, 15 May 2012 - 04:50 PM.

#8 lenoreg

lenoreg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2012 - 02:23 PM

fixed frustrated just reset everything...hope she doesn't need anything off it.

#9 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 PM

Posted 17 May 2012 - 08:07 PM

Yes the USB needed fornattiing.

Do you still need malware help?

Next run MBAM (MalwareBytes):
Save mbam-setup.exe to a flash,usb,jump drive or CD. Now transfer it to the infected machine, then install and run the program.
If you cannot transfer to or install on the infected machine, try running the setup (installation) file directly from the flash drive or CD by double-clicking on mbam-setup.exe so it will install on the hard drive.
Manually Downloading Updates:
Manually download them from HERE and just double-click on mbam-rules.exe to install. Alternatively, you can update through MBAM's interface from a clean computer, copy the definitions (rules.ref) located in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from that system to a usb stick or CD and then copy it to the infected machine..

Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Posted Image and save it to your desktop.
  • Important!! When you save the mbam-setup file, rename it to something random (such as 123abc.exe) before beginning the download.
Malwarebytes may "make changes to your registry" as part of its disinfection routine. If using other security programs that detect registry changes (ie Spybot's Teatimer), they may interfere or alert you. Temporarily disable such programs or permit them to allow the changes.

• Make sure you are connected to the Internet and double-click on the renamed file to install the application.
  • When the installation begins, follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.
  • Malwarebytes will automatically start and you will be asked to update the program before performing a scan.
  • If an update is found, the program will automatically update itself. Press the OK button and continue.
  • If you cannot update Malwarebytes or use the Internet to download any files to the infected computer, manually update the database by following the instructions in FAQ Section A: 4. Issues.
  • Under the Scanner tab, make sure the "Perform Quick Scan" option is selected.
  • Click on the Scan button.
  • When finished, a message box will say "The scan completed successfully. Click 'Show Results' to display all objects found".
  • Click OK to close the message box, then click the Show Results button to see a list of any malware that was found.
  • Make sure that everything is checked and then click Remove Selected.
  • When removal is completed, a log report will open in Notepad.
  • The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab.
  • Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply. Be sure to post the complete log to include the top portion which shows the database version and your operating system.
  • Exit Malwarebytes when done.
Note: If Malwarebytes encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you will be asked to reboot your computer so it can proceed with the disinfection process. If asked to restart the computer, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot normally will prevent Malwarebytes from removing all the malware.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users