Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Keyboard problem virus? Help!

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Gt5228

Gt5228

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:26 AM

Posted 13 May 2012 - 09:40 PM

I live alone, no kids or animals. My notebook is agateway nv59c. I have east nod 32 antivirus and malwarebytes but I don't enable the security on malwarebytes. So last night everything worked fine. As has my computer has always acted since I bought it (Dec. 2010) today I tried to log in and for some reason. My password wouldn't work. I realized that the five key was putting 2 characters on the password bar, not only that some keys didn't work. I was able to use my on screen keyboard to log on. Once loged on however, it dissent work. Some keys work fine but most either don't work or just don't work properly..... for example the 3 key turns the mute on and off....? Like I said before, it happened literally overnight randomly. I also realized that the firewall was off for some reason. Don't know how long ... any suggestions? Virus? Corruption? What should I do?

Edited by Gt5228, 13 May 2012 - 09:45 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Gt5228

Gt5228
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2012 - 09:49 PM

Oh and I already tried updating reinstalling driver

#3 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 PM

Posted 13 May 2012 - 11:58 PM

I suggest running an external keyboard first to check on the difference of incorrect keyboard functions.

Tekken

#4 Gt5228

Gt5228
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2012 - 06:28 PM

I suggest running an external keyboard first to check on the difference of incorrect keyboard functions.

well my external keyboard works... which is good... what does this mean for my built in keyboard? is it a software issue? hardware?
any suggestions?

#5 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:26 PM

Posted 17 May 2012 - 07:46 PM

http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=gateway%20nv59c%20keyboard%20replacement&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CGkQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Ftim.id.au%2Flaptops%2Fgateway%2Fgateway%2520nv59c.pdf&ei=8Jm1T5PsM8atiQfIjv2OCQ&usg=AFQjCNFUBFHxlgSWhbXMXZoABbujmvJe4w
Click on link above to download the manual -
At about page 60 of the manual, it describes how to remove and check the keyboard. I would follow this first

If this is not an option, then an external keyboard can be used -

Thank You -

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,266 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2012 - 03:05 PM

The fact that an external KB works...IMO, points to a driver issue on the notebook.

I would go into Device Manager...uninstall the current KB drivers...and then reboot the system, allowing the drivers to install anew.

Louis

#7 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 AM

Posted 19 May 2012 - 11:12 AM

And if that doesn't fix it I just took a quick look at Ebay and there were new keyboards for $17.99 with free shipping.

I hope it doesn't come to needing a new keyboard. However if it does then the service manual linked above will help. Keep in mind that the keyboard cable connector is fairly delicate. The part it shows to release only slides out a little ways and has a stop on each side to keep it from coming out to far.

Good Luck
Roger

Edited by rotor123, 19 May 2012 - 11:17 AM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#8 Gt5228

Gt5228
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2012 - 01:51 AM

thanks all. although the external keyboard workes for one night, it stopped working all of the sudden?? it randomly workes and then doesent work? i sent it to a repair guy...... basically if he cant fix it for under 50 im buying a new one. i have asked for suggestions on a different thread. looking for something solid and dependable for under 600.....

#9 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 AM

Posted 23 May 2012 - 09:39 AM

Hi, If you want suggestions on a new computer please post at this forum.
Since you are thinking of replacing it anyway. Why not look at the manual and see if it looks like you can change the keyboard yourself? I'll let you in on a secret, The keyboard is one of four very easy to change things on a laptop. Along with the hard drive, memory and Optical drive.

At $20 for the replacement keyboard not a big financial risk IMO.

Questions and advice for Buying a New Computer
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/forum171.html

Good Luck
Roger

Edited by rotor123, 23 May 2012 - 09:39 AM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users