Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Buy New, Upgrade existing, Rebuild existing or Build New?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Groffeaston

Groffeaston

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:34 AM

Posted 13 May 2012 - 09:07 PM

Hello everyone,

My computer is about 5 years old. I am wondering if I should: Buy a New computer, Upgrade the existing computer, Rebuild existing computer, build a new computer from the old computer or build using new parts?

Why? Well with all of the advances in computer technology since I purchased my computer 5 years ago everything is so much faster and more advanced than my computer. I have only had one or two medium grade hiccups with my computer since I got it. I had to reinstall the operating system once due to some files that got fouled up. I also had to do a few Factory condition resets, because of some files deleted or wrong data in them. I do not know if those problems were caused by viruses, spy-ware, or malware. I have also had problems with my Internet browsers at various times. Mostly with Internet Explorer; all versions that I have had installed, Firefox, and even Google's web browsers.

My current computer is a Dell Dimension E521 with: Windows Vista Home Premium, Service Pack 2, 32 bit operating System, AMD Athlon 64 x2 Dual Core processor 4000+ 2.10 GHz, 2.00GB RAM.

What would you suggest?

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wooshie

Wooshie

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:34 AM

Posted 13 May 2012 - 09:23 PM

Dell is in the business of selling computers so you will be limited to cpu, memory and space for graphics cards. I personally would build new.

#3 balon

balon

• Members
  • 432 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2012 - 09:38 PM

I would suggest an entire rebuild, always feels good to upgrade.

If you want an item list, you can give me a quota on price and ill meet your needs :)

#4 Groffeaston

Groffeaston
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2012 - 04:02 PM

Hello everyone,

Well as of right now I am just trying to decide which is better to do and try to save up my pennies. :hysterical:

My most immediate concern right now is about my back problems and trying to get them fixed. I have a bulging disc, Slippage of the spine, arthritis and other problems going on in my lower back. All of which cause severe pain when I stand, sit or walk for more than a few minutes at a time. The Slippage of the spine; also known medically as Spondylolisthesis, has gotten worse. It was a Grade 2 which is a forward slippage of 25% - 50% of the width of the vertebrae below it. Now it is a Grade 3 which is 50% - 75% of the width of the vertebrae below it. The worsening has happened between September of 2010 and December of 2011. Now the The slippage looks almost like a borderline Grade 4, which is 75% - 100% slippage.

Anyway, I have a rough idea of what I would like, but with the ongoing changes in technology I have to adjust a little every so often. Will tell you some of my ideas later. have to go for now.

#5 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 AM

Posted 15 May 2012 - 01:37 AM

I would build a new system since your choices of components will limited due to the age of it.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,093 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2012 - 09:06 AM

Well...I've had AMD X2 systems (built mine) and the change in CPUs/RAM since then...do not dictate living with that technology if one can afford to bypass it.

No point in living as if "yesterday" is suddenly going to become synonymous with "today" or "tomorrow" if one is assessing performance differentials of computer components. A corollary of this premise...replacement parts for older systems will cost you more today than they really are worth, since inventory levels of components will be geared to more recent replacement/new parts.

And...you don't necessarily have to be a "speed junkie" or "enthusiast" to recognize that the technology of the last couple of years...easily supplants the technology of 5 years ago.

DDR3, SSDs, CPUs, PSUs...are all significantly better choices today, IMO. I'm not that picky about motherboards but one has to recognize that the motherboard is a key component and must fit with choices of other components.

If you are not a gamer...it's relatively easy to find current technology which does the job without costing an arm and a leg. If you are a gamer, then you just need to remember that this market is probably responsible for many of the evolutions of computer components...and the choices are more difficult.

I would suggest a build...over a purchase...if you have any ability/desire to maintain/troubleshoot your own system and/or upgrade it piecemeal.

I would suggest a purchase if you want the convenience of paid-for support, with no action on your part (other than phone calls/shipping) when things go wrong with a hardware indication.

If I had to guess...I'd say that the hard drive is the system component which historically has caused owners the most grief. Seems to me that SSDs have alleviated that situation today (regarding the O/S partition), although large volume storage still remains the province of the typical hard drive (today).

But...things change every day when it comes to computer components...I expect SSDs will become the norm for all systems eventually.

Louis

#7 Groffeaston

Groffeaston
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2012 - 04:16 PM

Hello everyone,

As for what I would be using the computer for: A little bit of everything. I hope to own my own business some day, either agricultural (Ranch/Farm or Farm) or a combination Wood/Metal/Machine shop with a side Car Building/Refurbishing shop. So I would like to use the computer for one of them as well, if I ever can get my back fixed.

I would like something that has the memory and speed to be able to handle CAD/CAM programs plus be able to games and email, music, photos, writing proposals, etc.. if I use it for business. If I use it for other stuff: Recording Music, Gaming, email, etc...

I was thinking including a good quality video card, Good quality Sound card, 2 hard drives or 1 Hard drive and an External Storage device, and Maybe liquid cooling. Not sure of the exact brands yet, but considering these few: Intel, NVIDIA, Seagate, Western Digital, Toshiba and of course Microsoft.

For the case style, I prefer either a Full Tower or Mid Tower. A few years ago on one web site, I had priced out a computer to what I liked. It came close to $14,000. :woot: Know what I said? :censored: But of course that was a few years ago.
Now the prices are a little cheaper.

:horse: :deadhorse: horse was bad. :hysterical: ! I know :offtopic: . :hysterical:

Edited by Groffeaston, 17 May 2012 - 04:19 PM.

#8 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 AM

Posted 18 May 2012 - 03:59 AM

I wouldn't do the watercooling as it is complex. A mid-atx case would be fine.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users