Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell Inspiron 1501 Windows 7 Wireless Not Turning On

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 The Insane Mao

The Insane Mao

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:37 AM

Posted 13 May 2012 - 09:00 PM

I just want to start off by saying thanks to all of you at bleepingcomputer.com

I also want to say it's been a long time since I've been here, which in a way is a good thing seeing as I've been able to diagnose and solve all problems on my own...until now.

I have a 2007(?) Dell Inspiron 1501 laptop. I have Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit installed for quite a while now and it's been working fine. However, a few days ago the wireless stopped working.

I've checked the Device Manager to see if there was anything wrong with the driver, and there wasn't any red X's or yellow exclamation points. I uninstalled it anyway, shut down my computer, and rebooted. Driver is reinstalled but wireless card isn't picking up any networks.

When I hit Windows Key + X, it brings up the Windows Mobility Center and under the Wireless Network box, the button to "Turn wireless on" is greyed out. Weird.

As it stands now, the ethernet port still works and when I have it unplugged, the icon shows the wireless bars with a red X in the corner.

I've disabled my Avast! anti-virus program as well. It is not running after I rebooted my computer again.

Also, going to cmd and typing ipconfig shows the "Media State....Media Disconnected".

I have also taken my laptop apart using the Dell Support Guide, checked the connections, and nothing looked any different from previous teardowns (when I have had to clean the fans).

If anyone has any more ideas I can try, I appreciate the input. Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 AM

Posted 13 May 2012 - 11:28 PM

what happens when you press FN+F2 key?

#3 The Insane Mao

The Insane Mao
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:37 AM

Posted 14 May 2012 - 01:51 AM

It didn't work. That was something I tried earlier but after hitting Windows Key + X I saw I couldn't turn it on anyway.

Flash forward to a couple of hours later, and I had done a System Restore to a few weeks ago to see if it would fix the problem. Then I decided to shut down the laptop and deal with it later. It was installing all of the updates and after rebooting, I decided to hit FN+F2 to see if the Wifi light would turn on and it did!

However, it froze at the aqua blue Welcome screen (before it loads up the users). I turned it off, then back on and tried to turn the wifi on again. This time it worked. I guess the problem is now resolved.

#4 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 AM

Posted 14 May 2012 - 08:48 AM

:thumbup2:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users