Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Regular stuttering in all 3D applications and also some video

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 MagicVision

MagicVision

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:33 PM

Posted 13 May 2012 - 05:30 PM

Dear all,

I've seen how helpful this community seems to be while trying to solve this problem and thought I'd give it a try. I've tried almost everything within my means to solve the above problem, and have got nowhere.

Problem:
In 3D games/apps and some streaming video (Steam game trailers, Youtube) I am getting a stutter for just a second. It happens continuously at the same intervals I think. In Bad Company 2 it is very noticeable, almost like I've lost a frame or something. In Fallout 3, it's terrible especially in large open areas, where the stutter is constant. It was hardly noticeable in Half Life 2 + episodes, but was defo there, making me think that the newer, more demanding games are exposing this. The system was absolutely fine only a couple of months back and I had no problems with the above - this seems to have started without any reason.

My specs:
Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 (I have a small AI overclock on this through my MB but only by about 5%)
4Gb DDR2 RAM (Not overclocked in any way)
500Gb SATA 2 HD
ATi Radeon HD4870
Asus P5N-E SLI motherboard
700W Arctic PSU

What I have tried:
I have scoured the internet looking for solutions to this problem that has sprung up and have found many posts but al with different solutions if any at all. I have tried:
  • Thorough defrag
  • Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool (No errors detected)
  • Seatools from Boot disk on HD (No errors detected)
  • Memory test from boot disk (No errors detected)
  • Tried "Solve Windows Problems"
  • Tried clearing temp files etc
  • Removed overclock on CPU
  • Tried different SATA port
  • Changed monitor
  • I've double checked BIOS settings but am open to suggestion.
I haven't tried a fresh reinstall of Windows yet as many posts I've read with the same issue have done this to no avail. Needless to say I've tried full AV and Spyware scans.

I would be eternally grateful if anybody could help to get to the bottom of this software-wise, or help me pinpoint any potential hardware issue.

Thanks in advance,

Paul

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MagicVision

MagicVision
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2012 - 03:32 PM

I haven't seen any reply from anybody and thought I'd just check in - can anybody help out there?

Thanks in advance,

Paul

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,113 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:33 AM

Posted 27 May 2012 - 07:09 PM

If the problem only manifests itself...when using the video function...I would uninstall the current video drivvers and then reinstall same.

I might also run the dx diagnostic, although I don't normally do that.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-vista/Run-DirectX-Diagnostic-Tool

Louis

#4 MagicVision

MagicVision
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2012 - 04:51 PM

If the problem only manifests itself...when using the video function...I would uninstall the current video drivvers and then reinstall same.

I might also run the dx diagnostic, although I don't normally do that.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-vista/Run-DirectX-Diagnostic-Tool

Louis

Hi Louis,

Thanks very much for taking the time to have a look at this. Although I've tried before I thought I'd try again just for the sake of being thorough - I have uninstalled Catalyst, used DriverSweeper to remove all traces and then reinstalled Catalyst 12.3 plus CAP profiles - problem still persists.

I also had a look at DxDiag - no problems that I could see.

Thanks again for your reply - any other suggestions everybody?

Paul

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users