Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

OS Driver filled up again?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Finn360

Finn360

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 PM

Posted 13 May 2012 - 12:11 PM

Hello!

I'm terribly frustrated right now! I have a Windows 7 inspirion and yet again, my OS(C:) driver is 99% full. I don't understand! I'm a graphic designer and my phtosohop files take up room, but recently I moved them all to a flashdrive and back-up. I do not have any photos or videos saved to my computer, I do not game and my word documents barley take up any room. I'm starting to wonder if I should buy a new computer. I use to share this computer with another user and have deleted her account, would it help if I did? I don't understand why it is filling up so fast, it's almost like I empty it and then it fills right back up in a few more logins. Any help would be nice, Macafee says my computer is safe, so I'm not assuming a virus. Thanks so much for reading!

-Finn

I added a picture of the OS drive~

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 PM

Posted 13 May 2012 - 01:05 PM

Please download MiniToolBox, save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:
  • List last 10 Event Viewer log
  • List Installed Programs
  • List Users, Partitions and Memory size.
  • List Minidump Files
Click Go and post the result (Result.txt). A copy of Result.txt will be saved in the same directory the tool is run.

Note: When using "Reset FF Proxy Settings" option Firefox should be closed.

#3 Finn360

Finn360
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2012 - 01:07 PM

So what will this program do exactly?

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 PM

Posted 13 May 2012 - 01:09 PM

it will list your installed applications, your drive partition information, and last 10 error logs.

#5 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 PM

Posted 13 May 2012 - 01:16 PM

1) McAfee is about the worst AV you can have. I would recommend uninstalling it and replacing it with ANY other product.

2) Delete all files in your temp folder.

3) Empty the recycle bin.

4) Reduce space allotted to the Temporary Internet Files folder

5) Reduces space allotted to System Restore

6) Use Disk Cleanup to delete all but the most recent restore point

7) Disable Hibernation

8) Check the size of your pagefile. If you have a lot of ram, the system managed size is probably larger than required.

If the free space continues to be consumed at an alarming rate, you may well be infected. You can also use treesize (http://www.jam-software.com/freeware/) to see where the usage is.

Edited by Allan, 13 May 2012 - 01:18 PM.

#6 Finn360

Finn360
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2012 - 04:24 PM

Thanks so much for replying :) The problem is, the thing just filled up now. There is no space on my OS drive so maybe I can download this stuff to a flashdrive or something because I can only do that right now. Could this be a virus? It's not showing any typical virus signs. I might be taking my computer somewhere and have them look at, and or buy a new a computer. Sometimes it will give me like 34 MB to use at 99% full. This is so strange, as i have never had anything like this occur. Every thing seems to be working fine as I can use the internet and programs. Where is this Temp folder, I feel dumb for asking, thanks again. Hopefully all this will be fixed soon. As for Macafee I'm stuck with it for now.

#7 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,629 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2012 - 04:43 PM

Nothing in my suggestions requires downloading anything except for treesize, which will show you where the space is being utilized. Everything else to free up space does not involve downloads. And yes, if the drive filled up "spontaneously" it may very well be malware.

#8 Finn360

Finn360
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2012 - 04:53 PM

I tried to download and it just said "Interrupted so something is up. I think it's because my computer can't take it. I'm going through the list you gave me. Thanks again. I'm a little worried now :(

#9 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,629 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2012 - 05:07 PM

If the problem persists you can always post in the Am I Infected forum on this site.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users