Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Updating XP Home to Service pack 3

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Chris Bar

Chris Bar

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:04 AM

Posted 13 May 2012 - 10:18 AM

My laptop runs XP Home and was updated by manual selection through Service Pack 2. I have frequently read of folks having issues with Service Pack 3 so I have not permitted automatic updates. Should I ignore those folks...is service pack 3 safe now? I am not particularly literate in computers so any jargon will be lost on me if reference is made to "so-called" named issues and problems. If SP3 causes problems, I understand that one cannot back out of a SP update. Is this true?
Had been a while since I could even access Bleeping computer website....it magically fixed itself...think it was a service provider problem...comcast.

Edited by Chris Bar, 13 May 2012 - 10:20 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_Xircal_*

Guest_Xircal_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 13 May 2012 - 10:34 AM

I've been running SP3 ever since it first appeared and have no issues with it at all.

If you don't install it though, you may experience problems installing certain programs which use Windows Installer v3.1 v2 which isn't included in SP2.

#3 Dan Penny

Dan Penny

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2012 - 12:02 PM

You can install Windows Installer 4.x on SP2.

I don't run SP3 for several reasons. One of which is sometimes SP3 must be UNinstalled to do certain things with XP. I've NEVER had ANY problems running just SP2.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=8483
It's a good day when you learn something
-----------------------------------------------------------

#4 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 AM

Posted 13 May 2012 - 05:48 PM

My laptop runs XP Home and was updated by manual selection through Service Pack 2. I have frequently read of folks having issues with Service Pack 3 so I have not permitted automatic updates. Should I ignore those folks...is service pack 3 safe now? I am not particularly literate in computers so any jargon will be lost on me if reference is made to "so-called" named issues and problems. If SP3 causes problems, I understand that one cannot back out of a SP update. Is this true?
Had been a while since I could even access Bleeping computer website....it magically fixed itself...think it was a service provider problem...comcast.

There was never a security problem with SP3. There were problems installing it on computers with AMD processors and some HP systems. This link will give you more info. The average user should upgrade just for security reasons. Why leave vulnerabilities for drive by viruses. They target systems that are not updated.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic146857.html

#5 Guest_Xircal_*

Guest_Xircal_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 14 May 2012 - 03:15 AM

Microsoft support for SP2 ended in July 2010: http://www.informationweek.com/news/windows/operatingsystems/222000858

Without SP3 installed, you cannot install security patches which were released later. Since SP3 was released in July 2008, that implies that your system is missing all these security updates which were designed to neutralize attack on those vectors.

#6 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:04 AM

Posted 14 May 2012 - 04:07 AM

@ Dan Penny -
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=8483 In answer to this link and your statement -
>"One of which is sometimes SP3 must be UNinstalled to do certain things with XP"<

Your linked article is - Date published: 6/2/2008 if you do read it - If you can find an article dated 2012 then it may be related to this thread.
I can not see how your link is related to XP SP3 in any way, and I have not found any item that requires you to Uninstall SP3 yet -

On both Xp units I have, SP3 was one of the earliest updates I wanted to install (after SP2)
Now all updates are current, as they should be -

Thank You -
EDIT - And I doubt your Signature
It's a good day when you learn something

Edited by noknojon, 14 May 2012 - 04:09 AM.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,406 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2012 - 11:50 AM

Well...if it's a laptop...the manufacturer is responsible for posting any guidance which users may need re SP3.

Have you checked the manufacturer's site...to see the specific guidance, if any?

As for the wisdom of not installing SP3...SP3 contains a large number of security updates, some/all of which it is possible that you individually downloaded and installed. But...there have been well over 100 additional security updates issued post-SP3.

A system without all critical updates issued through May 2012...is vulenerable to known exploitation via malware. Which is not to say that a system still cannot be compromised if all critical updates are installed...but the chances of being open to malware exploitation certainly increase when users/owners ignore the known vulnerabilities.

Louis

#8 Chris Bar

Chris Bar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 PM

Posted 19 May 2012 - 11:26 PM

Thanks....understand and will update to SP-3, but one quick question first.

Before I update, other than deleting cookies, and cleaning up web browser stuff in disk cleanup, and perhaps running Malwarebytes, is there anything else I need do before going into the automatic update mode at MS Windows site?

Also, if I did not already ask, once I update to SP-3, if there is a problem [really doubtful but need to know], can I undo, i.e. without re-installing Ghost image or something like that, and return to SP-2? Seems to have read that once a SP is installed, that's it...no going back.

Again, thanks very much for your help.

#9 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:04 AM

Posted 20 May 2012 - 04:09 AM

Hi Chris Bar -
Please read http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic146857.html/page__view__findpost__p__824914 from Bleeping.Computer tutorial material
Then procede with the update to SP3, and you will then follow with a session of Windows Updates that you may have missed.

Re: Can I uninstall SP3 - The answer to this must be Yes - My Control Panel > Add / Remove section has XP SP3 as a listed item that can be removed.
Malwarebytes (a tough infection remover) is not a required item, prior to updating your system, as long as your antivirus is always updated.

However there are cases where you are asked to disable your antivirus, and firewall to allow high priority updates to flow smoothly.
So just read the link above and follow any directions listed there (by Experts on the subject) and you will be OK -

Post back if you do have any later questions -

Thank You -

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users