Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem with Screen Resolution

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Paul Eamonn

Paul Eamonn

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 PM

Posted 13 May 2012 - 09:41 AM

Hi all

Yesterday I fitted a (used) graphics card in place of the onboard version I used to have. The old one is listed up as an hp L1730@1024x768 Intel® 82865G Graphics Controller. The new(?) one (that I took out of a computer I was given) is an NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 4000 (Microsoft Corporation). It was running fine on the other computer and, funnily enough, it was set at 1024x768. But when I try to set it to 1024x768 resolution on my current computer the screen goes black and then there are flashes of interference lines and then, after about 5 seconds, the screen comes back to normal showing the resolution it was set at before I changed it.

Does anyone have any idea on what may be causing this and can it be fixed? Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Regards

Paul Eamonn

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Dan Penny

Dan Penny

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:42 AM

Posted 13 May 2012 - 12:24 PM

This should be the proper drivers/download for that card;

http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_93.71_2.html

Has this been installed, and you're still having problems?
It's a good day when you learn something
-----------------------------------------------------------

#3 Paul Eamonn

Paul Eamonn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 PM

Posted 14 May 2012 - 05:26 AM

Hi Dan

Thanks for your reply and, more so, for the link to the driver. You're right, I hadn't installed it. I thought I had but the one I had installed was the one for the onboard graphics card.

As for the 'problem' yes, I am still having it. I tried to set the resolution to 1280x768 through the NVIDIA control panel and the screen went off on one exactly the same as before.

However, having messed about the NVIADIA control panel a bit more, I set it to 1280x800 (one up from the one I wanted to put on) and it looked terrible. So I can only guess that, if I had been able to set it to 1280x768 as I wanted to, it would have looked even worse? So I've resolved myself to the fact that I'm going to have keep it at 1280x800 with the Icons set to Large and Test to Large also. I'm sure I'll get used to it.

So, thanks again for your help and please give my regards to Alberta. It has been a long time since I covered 'most' of it (or it seemed like it at the time) on foot one summer 35 years ago!
Regards

Paul Eamonn

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users