Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Spyfalcon/mssearchnet.exe Problem

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 dreamphantom

dreamphantom

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:37 PM

Posted 26 February 2006 - 04:46 PM

HI,
I have about exhausted my patience with this problem. I have gotten the Spyfalcon/mssearchnet.exe problem. I did some research and found a technique to remove it using smitRem and FIxSF.reg. The problem is, for some reason my SAFE mode is not working. I've tried several times and it tries, then just reboots in normal mode. I have also tried to use a restore point to work around my problem but after several attempts, it will not work either. This malware is really irritating with all the fake virus messages and who knows what else it's doing. Is there another way to resolve this, other than my non-functional SAFE mode or restore points?

(Moderator edit: moved thread to more appropriate forum. jgweed)

Edited by jgweed, 27 February 2006 - 09:06 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 PM

Posted 26 February 2006 - 05:30 PM

I keep seeing this problem, and I've had it myself. Some malware can keep you from starting in Safe Mode, but in my case, and for others as well, it turns out to be a problem with InCD software from Nero. If you have Nero and/or InCD, go to Nero's website and download the latest patch for InCD. If that's your problem, you'll be able to start in Safe Mode as soon as you install the patch.

Try opening Nero and check for updates . . .

#3 dreamphantom

dreamphantom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2006 - 06:10 PM

To my knowledge, I don't have inCD or Nero. A comp wide search didn't turn it up at least. Can you think of anything else that might hinder me from loading to Safe mode? This malware is so infuriating I am about ready to rip out the 120 Gig HD and buy another one! almost, but not quite yet.....

#4 Marigold

Marigold

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 AM

Posted 27 February 2006 - 02:33 AM

You could try a small Free Utility from the Site below. It allows you to start in Safe Mode, Safe Mode with Network access, Repair Mode and Normal Mode.

safe mode

#5 lej

lej

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2006 - 09:01 AM

Hi There
I have been reading the problem with the spy falcon and I have the same thing on my computer. Only I can start in safe mode but when I run ad-aware to remove the spy falcon it is still there. It also changes my home page and the minute I change it it will change it back straight away. It really is getting on my nerves is there a better program for removing the spy falcon please.

Regards
Lej :thumbsup:

#6 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2006 - 09:11 AM

Run both Adaware and Spybot Search and Destroy from safe mode, updating each program before you scan and setting both to fix what they find.

*AdAware SE: http://www.majorgeeks.com/download506.html

*Spybot S&D: http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html

Following that that I suggest you post a “HijackThis” log for expert assistance with your problem.

Read the pinned post in our “HijackThis” forum, here
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/
Carefully read and follow all directions explicitly.

Following instructions run a log, and post it in following HJT forum,
at this link
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/posthjtlog.html

Do not as yet attempt to fix anything by yourself using Hijack This as even what may seem to be a small mistake can render your op system inoperable.
Some files when in one folder may be fine while in another may be malware.

A member of our HJT Team will analyze your log, make recommendations and offer assistance.

It may take a period of time to get a response to the log you posted because the members of our HJT Team are kept very busy.
Please be patient as this team is manned by volunteers. They will help you as soon as possible.

NOTE
Once you have posted your HJT log, please DO NOT make any additional posts in the HJT forum thread you created until you get a response from a member of our HJT expert team.

The first criteria they have when looking for logs that need replies are posts showing 0 replies. If you make an additional post, it will show as having 1 reply.
A team member, looking to see if a reply has been made might well assume another HJT Team member is already assisting you and might not open the thread to respond.

So, make your post and wait for a response from a team member.

#7 lej

lej

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2006 - 06:33 AM

Hi
Thanks for your sugestion. But I have tried that in safe mode running adaware and spybot. It Seemed to help at the start but the homepage still wont go back to normal and as soon as I go on line again spy falcon seems to return pretty quickly.. Can you maybe sugest some more things to try please..

Regards
Lej :thumbsup:

#8 Marigold

Marigold

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2006 - 02:19 AM

You could try a- squared in safe mode. Try it first normally, if it says you have Spyfalcon turn off System Restore go on in Safe Mode and run it again. Don't forget to turn on System Restore again when
you go back on.

a-squared

Forgot to add that there is a Free Version of a-squared which I use. Scroll down their Web page
until you find the Download.

Edited by Marigold, 01 March 2006 - 02:22 AM.

#9 Marigold

Marigold

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2006 - 02:54 AM

A friend could not get Spyfalcon out of his computer so he downloaded this Tojan Hunter which was free for thirty days and it did the trick.

Trojan Remover

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users