Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Stuck in a restart loop at BIOS stage - Hating this Desktop

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Mumx6

Mumx6

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:19 AM

Posted 12 May 2012 - 10:50 PM

Hi folks,

I am in desperate need of assistance please. I have a home built desktop that is driving me nuts. Over the last 5 years everything has been upgraded except the original 80GB hard drive and the Windows XP operating system. In the last year alone I have had to replace the graphics card, RAM and case. My IT expert has moved away and I cannot afford to put it into a computer shop at present to be looked at.

I have had an ongoing issue with the USB ports on the motherboard not working properly for the last few weeks - kept coming up with a "problem with the hardware - may not work properly" message. Mouse and printer both stopped working. Brought 2 new mice to try without any luck. Yesterday I decided to give it another go. It loaded okay and acknowledged the mouse so I did a back-up onto the external hard drive and forwarded some emails and files to another email address so i can get to them if the Desktop crashes.

When I shut the system down it had 23 Windows updates to do.

This morning I have turned the desktop on and I get as far as the Gigabyte screen then I get a "No signal found" message and it reboots. I have tried to access the BIOS using F12 but it does not acknowledge it and just reboots.

When I was having the USB problems I checked out the device drivers and found that Mouse & Pointers option had disappeared completely. Last night it was back again. The front USB connection was working when I plugged the external hard drive in but when I moved the External HD to a rear USB connection and tried to plug in a 2GB USB in the front port it started to give me the problem with installation message again.

Is anyone able to assist me please?

Thank you,

Mumx6

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 IT2k3

IT2k3

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:19 PM

Posted 12 May 2012 - 11:23 PM

Have you tried running any diagnostics on the system?
It might be that your hard drive or the motherboard is already failing.
If it passed the test, you might need to reinstall the operating system.

#3 Mumx6

Mumx6
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2012 - 11:28 PM

How do I run a diagnostic if I cannot get into the BIOS please?

#4 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2012 - 12:17 AM

Hi

Have you tried resetting the BIOS?

If you aren't sure how, let us know the model of the Gigabyte motherboard and we'll try to find out for you.

Also, (though I know that you probably tried this) try booting with nothing plugged in except the monitor and the keyboard (I assume your using a PS/2 keyboard).

James

EDIT: Another thing to check is the USB ports for any broken parts or pieces of metal stuck in them. A shorted USB port can exhibit the behavior you are seeing.

Edited by NeverSayDie, 13 May 2012 - 12:21 AM.

#5 Mumx6

Mumx6
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2012 - 01:02 AM

Hi NeverSayDie,

I unplugged the External Hard Drive and checked all the USB ports which are clear. Managed to get into Windows Safe Mode with Networking.

Tried the USB again and still getting the message "Found New Hardware - a problem occurred during hardware installation. Your new hardware might not work properly."

My motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-EP43-DS3L

My keyboard is a USB one which I have had no problems with (touch wood. The mouse is USB as well and still working (touch wood).

Thank you for your assistance.

#6 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2012 - 11:13 AM

That motherboard has built in BIOS protection (a backup exists on a separate chip and automatically restores itself to the main chip when a checksum does not match).
So, we don't need to do anything with the BIOS.

Since it suddenly started at least partly working after removing the external hard drive, check the hard drive's USB cable. That may be where the problem is. If you plug in that cable with nothing attached to it, does it cause it to go back into the reboot loop? If it does, replace the cable and try again to see if the hard dtive shows up when plugged in.

At this point, if it does not then you are going to have to try the drive on another computer to make sure that it is not the culprit.

James

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users