Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Error code 12 on my Display Adapter

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 DonJolen

DonJolen

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:10 AM

Posted 12 May 2012 - 08:18 PM

Basically I've been trying to fix this issue for quite a while now and nothing seems to work.

I just reformatted my computer and I installed a few games (League of Legends, etc)but when I launch them I get an error, both pretty similar and relating to the same problem. "Could not load Direct3D".

My fist instinct was to download and update my video drivers, which is the "Intel® 82915G/GV/910GL Express Chipset Family".

Then I realized something, it gave me this error from the display adapter:
This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use. (Code 12)
If you want to use this device, you will need to disable one of the other devices on this system.
You need to restart your computer before the changes you made to this device will take affect.
Click Troubleshoot to start the troubleshooter for this device.
I tried using the troubleshooter but it didn't help me fix anything.

Then I ran dxdiag and it gave me this:
The system is using the generic video driver.  Please install video driver provided by the hardware manufacturer.
To test DirectDraw functionality, click the "Test DirectDraw" button above.
Direct3D functionality not available.  You should verify that the driver is a final version from the hardware manufacturer.

The major thing I noticed was it said "Main Driver: vga.dll" which is the windows software moniter (I believe).

I have no idea how to fix this, I've tried everything, but I'm pretty sure the Display Driver is up to date, it's just the fact that it's not being used. I assume that DirectX won't work under the VGA monitor and the only way to fix this is to get the computer to use the original monitor instead.

What I've done so far:
  • Updated Windows
  • Reinstalled DirectX
  • Reinstalled the Display Adapter (From Intel & Dell)
  • Reinstalled the games
  • Call Dell, never mentioned anything about it using the VGA drivers though.

Hope you guys can help me, thanks :D

Edited by DonJolen, 12 May 2012 - 08:19 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,545 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2012 - 06:13 AM

I would uninstsall the current video drivers...then reinstall same or updated ones.

At times, a damaged video driver will prevent "updating" of the driver...uninstalling the driver first ensures that it is not the cause of any problems which might occur with installing the same or updated drivers.

Louis

#3 DonJolen

DonJolen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2012 - 06:38 AM

What I've done so far:

• Reinstalled the Display Adapter (From Intel & Dell)

I would uninstsall the current video drivers...then reinstall same or updated ones.

At times, a damaged video driver will prevent "updating" of the driver...uninstalling the driver first ensures that it is not the cause of any problems which might occur with installing the same or updated drivers.

Louis

I've already done that, and that's not my problem. My problem is that it's only using VGA.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,545 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2012 - 08:34 AM

Beg pardon...but many members think that pushing the Update button...is the same as uninstalling the driver, then reinstalling it.

If you've already done that...I'd have to go to the possibility that there is a hardware problem.

FWIW: Troubleshooting Device Manager Errors

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users