Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Promiscus mode logins in lan

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 vikkyhacks

vikkyhacks

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:41 AM

Posted 12 May 2012 - 01:59 PM

Hello guys this is my first post in this forum ....
Well as far as i know in a lan network the router just sends off the received data packets from the any server to all the computers connected to it in the lan and only the computer that is intended to receives gets the packet and other computers ignore it ...
But in the other case if i put my nic in promiscus mode, then instead of rejecting all the data packets that were not intended for me i will just take them ... I think this is what even sniffers do if i am right ... Then my question is, If a computer sends any facebook username and password to facebook server the router will receive the LOGGED IN page from facebook server and send it to all computers in the lan. If someone else is sniffing the network using promiscus mode then will they receive my LOGGED IN facebook page and can they see what is inside my profile ????

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 AM

Posted 12 May 2012 - 02:06 PM

No they wont see your profile or have access to it, however, they will have your user name and password if not using facebook in https mode.

All Promiscuous mode means that you can see all traffic with in the LAN and nothing more. This include plain text usernames and passwords.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users