Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop keeps shutting down, running slow

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 drakan31687

drakan31687

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 AM

Posted 12 May 2012 - 12:35 PM

Hey all!
Haven't had to use the forum in a while. I have a HP pavilion d7 laptop running windows 7 home premium.
Lately it's been running slower than usual which is annoying.
Also if I put it to sleep sometimes it will turn off. It comes back on with the "was not properly shut down" screen. Even though I didn't turn it off!!

I'm afraid something is wrong with it.

If anyone could help it would be much appreciated!

Thank you!

Edited by hamluis, 14 May 2012 - 02:13 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 everready

everready

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2012 - 04:08 PM

Hello drakan31687,

Well all the following come to mind.

First, run the Disk Cleanup Utility, Start>All Programs>Accessories>System Tools>Disk Cleanup.

Then check if your disk needs to be Defragmented. Windows 7 schedules defragmentation of the system disk by default, but look and see if any disk needs defragmentation.

Check to see how much free space you have on the disk, about 15% of the total disk space is a good rule of thumb. Delete unnecessary file to free up space if needed.

Check your Startup Files, loading too many programs at startup can cause system problems. Make sure you load only the programs you really need. To check startups click Start then type msconfig and open the System Configuration dialog box. Select the Startup tab and uncheck the programs you don't need one at a time and reboot to see what affect removing that program has. Autoruns is much better utility to use than msconfig.

Check your Windows updates to see if you are current. If not update straight away.

Run a good Malware/Virus removal program. Update the definitions first then run just quick scans. If anything is found, run a full scan.

Uninstall unused programs. As a general rule, you should remove programs that you donít use on a regular basis. If you donít use it once in six months, for instance, you can probably get rid of it.

Check to see what Processes are running. Right-click an empty area of the taskbar and choose Task Manager. Use the Applications tab to see what full programs are running and the Processes tab to see whatís running behind the scenes. If you donít know what a process does, search Google for the process name you can find a ton of information. Process Explorer is a better utility than Task Manager for this.

Run a chldsk on the C: drive. In Windows explorer right click on the drive and select Properties. Then select Tools tab. Select Check now, check both check boxes, click start. Probably well have to reboot to run chkdsk since system disk is in use.

Clear your browser cache and remove excessive add-ons and toolbars.

Still running slow try running sfc /scannow in an elevated command prompt.

Read this post Slow Computer/browser? Check Here First; It May Not Be Malware

That should be enought to get you started.

Hope it helps.

#3 drakan31687

drakan31687
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2012 - 05:28 PM

Hello drakan31687,

Well all the following come to mind.

First, run the Disk Cleanup Utility, Start>All Programs>Accessories>System Tools>Disk Cleanup.

Then check if your disk needs to be Defragmented. Windows 7 schedules defragmentation of the system disk by default, but look and see if any disk needs defragmentation.

Check to see how much free space you have on the disk, about 15% of the total disk space is a good rule of thumb. Delete unnecessary file to free up space if needed.

Check your Startup Files, loading too many programs at startup can cause system problems. Make sure you load only the programs you really need. To check startups click Start then type msconfig and open the System Configuration dialog box. Select the Startup tab and uncheck the programs you don't need one at a time and reboot to see what affect removing that program has. Autoruns is much better utility to use than msconfig.

Check your Windows updates to see if you are current. If not update straight away.

Run a good Malware/Virus removal program. Update the definitions first then run just quick scans. If anything is found, run a full scan.

Uninstall unused programs. As a general rule, you should remove programs that you donít use on a regular basis. If you donít use it once in six months, for instance, you can probably get rid of it.

Check to see what Processes are running. Right-click an empty area of the taskbar and choose Task Manager. Use the Applications tab to see what full programs are running and the Processes tab to see whatís running behind the scenes. If you donít know what a process does, search Google for the process name you can find a ton of information. Process Explorer is a better utility than Task Manager for this.

Run a chldsk on the C: drive. In Windows explorer right click on the drive and select Properties. Then select Tools tab. Select Check now, check both check boxes, click start. Probably well have to reboot to run chkdsk since system disk is in use.

Clear your browser cache and remove excessive add-ons and toolbars.

Still running slow try running sfc /scannow in an elevated command prompt.

Read this post Slow Computer/browser? Check Here First; It May Not Be Malware

That should be enought to get you started.

Hope it helps.

Hey, thanks for the useful tips. I have defrag setup on a weekly basis and use diskcleanup probably on a 2to3 week basis. I try to keep my computer clean and up to date. I installed the latest updates (its on autoupdate) and I don't keep my IE browser loaded with anything. I prefer my speed so maybe only one or two add ons are activated.
I empty my recycle bin religiously and my hard drive (up until yesterday) still had over 100gb available (500gb cap.)
I've recently run the chkdsk approx 2 weeks ago and it found some things that it took care of.
I run Avast! antivirus approx full scan 2to3 week basis if not weekly. I recall it came up with 1 thing a couple weeks ago that it took care of.

I am unaware of how to run the sfc on windows 7 if you could provide that info or a link I would appreciate it. Other than that I've pretty much hit all the others and its still slowed down. That's why I came here. I'd really like to be ready to game a lil (diablo 3) on this laptop which isn't very old and should be running really good as I see it.
Let me know if you can think of anything else.
Thank you

#4 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2012 - 07:41 PM

Hi,

A few additional thoughts,

I run Avast! antivirus approx full scan 2to3 week basis if not weekly.

It wouldn't hurt to run a good anti-malware scan such as with the Free Malwarebytes to supplement the Avast scan.

A failing hard drive could cause a system slow down. If your HP computer has onboard diagnostics (see below link), start with the Diagnostic Tests - hard drive: quick, full, and smart tests. It should pass all three tests. http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&dlc=en&docname=c01443317&lc=en&product=5081050&query=DV7-6000sa&tool=#N154

Also see this link: http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-Systems-and/HP-Pavilion-Shuts-Down-When-Goes-Into-Sleep-Mode/td-p/609483#M60169

Regards,
Brooks

#5 drakan31687

drakan31687
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2012 - 07:50 PM

I'm running the system file checker now. Still in the verification phase. 62% so far. I have no idea how long it takes though. After that I will run the hard drive tests then the free malware bytes program. Then yet another full avast scan when time allows.
I used auto runs to uncheck some system processes where the file couldn't be found or had no description and sketchy names then restarted before running the system checker.
Really would like my computer up to speed...

#6 drakan31687

drakan31687
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2012 - 07:58 PM

Also while starting up the welcome screen (after inputting password) just sits there loading for an entire minute or so, is that normal considering I have slim to none processes being started? I thought it was much quicker.
Sfc came back with nothing.
Did the power scheme command and restarted. Will check hard drive now

#7 drakan31687

drakan31687
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2012 - 08:49 PM

Running malwarebytes and 2 objects are detected already!
I'll post what they are in the morning.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users