Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB Device Unrcognized

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 TerryV

TerryV

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 AM

Posted 12 May 2012 - 11:58 AM

Hi Folks, I keep getting this error message, and one of my USB ports will not work. I have done the remove power to the computer thing I saw on a site I found by Googling the error message, but the problem returned the first time I woke up the computer after using it from the power down start. I have gone into "Device Mgr" and uninstalled the "Unknown Device" that shows there, it comes right back after I do the re-start. Hardware is a H-P G60-243CL laptop, with Vista Home Premium. I would really like to get that USB port back, I know that I could go buy a hub, but I really don't need all those extra ports. I used to have a Cannon printer plugged into that port, I came home one day to find the printer non-operational, could have been a lightning strike, but the computer was OK, except that port will not work, and I keep getting the "USB Device not recognized" error message. Any ideas anyone? TerryV.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_Xircal_*

Guest_Xircal_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 12 May 2012 - 12:24 PM

"Unknown device" means the operating system has detected the hardware, but cannot find a driver for it, so do the following steps to identify it. Once you've done that, you can look for the drivers for it.

• Go to Start, then Run, type winmsd.exe and click OK (If you haven't go the Run command on the Start menu, hit Windows logo key + R instead)
  • In the left hand pane, expand "Components" and then click "Problem Devices". That will tell you what the "Unknown Device" is you're seeing in Device Manager.
"USB device not recognized" could be due to the USB drive itself. If it was formatted as NTFS and you removed it from the system without first terminating it via the "Safely Remove Hardware" icon in systray, then it will have been corrupted and the OS will no longer be able to read or write to it. NTFS formatted USB drives can be used with Microsoft's "ReadyBoost" to supplement system memory. The default FAT32 format doesn't need to be ejected and can simply be removed from the system.

However, if you say the printer failed on that port too, then it could indicate a hardware problem. Try running the "Fixit" on this Microsoft site: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-vista/Tips-for-solving-problems-with-USB-devices

#3 TerryV

TerryV
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2012 - 12:07 AM

Hi Xircal, thanks for the post, I tried that Mr Fixit link but it did not fix the problem. The report was "Problem detected, changes not made". Could not find any thing on the Microsoft site to help. winmsd.exe gave me an error "not found", any ideas? TerryV.

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2012 - 12:40 AM

Try this link from HP.

Tekken

#5 Guest_Xircal_*

Guest_Xircal_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 14 May 2012 - 02:46 AM

Hi Xircal, thanks for the post, I tried that Mr Fixit link but it did not fix the problem. The report was "Problem detected, changes not made". Could not find any thing on the Microsoft site to help. winmsd.exe gave me an error "not found", any ideas? TerryV.

Try running msinfo32 instead.

#6 TerryV

TerryV
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 PM

Posted 14 May 2012 - 10:21 PM

Hi Folks, in reply to both jhayz & Xircal, I have attached screen shots so you both can see where I was, first jhayz, the HP automated trouble shooter did not detect any problem, I selected the "Unknown Device" and Vista checked for updates and returned a Device Up to date" message. As you can see in the screen shot of the Device Mgr list, the Unknown Device is above the list of composite devices, but please note that when I opened the first of the USB Root Hubs per HP link, it also shows an Unknown Device! I am not sure that I want to uninstall the USB Controller, for one thing, being the procrastinator that I am, I still have NOT made a Recovery Disc of any sort, yet! So, it is still a bit of a puzzle to me. Any more thoughts would be welcome. TerryV.Attached File  Devices.JPG   34.82KB   3 downloadsAttached File  Device2.JPG   41.42KB   3 downloadsAttached File  Devices3.JPG   49.74KB   3 downloads

#7 TerryV

TerryV
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2012 - 10:23 PM

Whoops! I didn't mean for those screen shots to end up like that in the post! Please forgive my awkwardness, TerryV.

#8 TerryV

TerryV
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2012 - 10:27 PM

Another Whoops! Xircal, the third screen shot shows the pane after I clicked on "Problem Devices. Completely blank. TerryV.

#9 Guest_Xircal_*

Guest_Xircal_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 15 May 2012 - 01:33 AM

The centre screenshot shows you to have a USB hub attached to the system. Can you unplug that and then test each individual port on the PC with a USB Flash drive? If everything works properly, then the problem lies with the hub.

#10 TerryV

TerryV
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2012 - 10:02 PM

Hi Xircal, Pardon my ignorance, I did not know what I was looking at, the truth is, I do not have any hubs attached to the computer. I do not recall ever plugging any hubs in to this computer. I am very puzzled! I have a printer and a wireless mouse plugged in along with the ethernet and the power cord, and that is it. Since the third USB outlet does not work, if, say, I have to download the camera, I just un-plug the printer and use that port. Tell me what next I should be looking for, please! BTW, last night after posting, I dug thru the H-P site and finally found the Vista support page, downloaded their utility which checked my drivers and BIOS and reported back that everything was up to date, FWIW, TerryV.

#11 Guest_Xircal_*

Guest_Xircal_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 16 May 2012 - 02:46 AM

Actually, I made a slight boo-boo there. That isn't an external hub at all. I had the "unknown device" in my head and was associating that with the picture of the hub, but omitted to look at the Power tab above it.

Where you see it in your centre screenshot, could you double click it and see if that sheds any light on the subject?

#12 TerryV

TerryV
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2012 - 11:04 AM

Hi Xircal, here are two screen shots of Device Mgr, Device1 is the first Root hub and Device 2 is the third Root Hub the other two Root Hubs do not show an "Unknown Device" when expanded. I am completely at a loss, with the minimum knowledge I have, I tend to think it is a software related problem, but I left this for so long, that the restore point before this problem is long gone! TerryV.
Attached File  Device1.JPG   117.2KB   5 downloads Attached File  Device2.JPG   97.22KB   5 downloads

#13 Guest_Xircal_*

Guest_Xircal_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 16 May 2012 - 11:22 AM

Can you have a look at this article? Why is my USB device not detected or comes up as "Unknown Device"?

#14 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2012 - 03:35 PM

One stray thought. Have you looked at the port to see if it is physically damaged? I have seen that happen where the plastic inside of the port breaks off and the pins get bent against each other or the shell of the port.

Image from here:

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/R-L-Series-ThinkPad-Laptops/ThinkPad-hangs-on-boot-stuck-at-Thinkpad-screen/ta-p/301526

Broken%20USB%20port.jpg

As you can see the bottom one is damaged.

Good Luck
Roger

Edited by rotor123, 04 September 2013 - 03:51 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#15 TerryV

TerryV
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2012 - 09:58 AM

Hi Xircal & rotor123, thanks for the info, but still no joy. Xircal, I followed your link and also this one: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/usbcoreblog/archive/2011/10/15/things-to-try-when-your-usb-device-is-an-quot-unknown-device-quot.aspx It was in a reply in the original link. Nothing is coming up with any errors, all the drivers report as up to date. Rotor, I had a good look at the port, I don't see any thing that looks like damage, the port just does not work! I think I will just have to live with it, if no one has any more ideas, it looks like this is it. Thanks to all, TerryV.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users