Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installation fails to complete on new HDD

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 D808Centaur

D808Centaur

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:59 PM

Posted 12 May 2012 - 08:57 AM

I am seeing error "Windows Setup could not configure Windows on this computer's hardware." when my new installation tries to restart and boot from the hard disk.
Help please?

System is a Dell Dimension E520, OS is Vista Ultimate 32bit SP1.
I am using a reinstallation DVD for Dell PCs provided by my IT friend from work.
(Original computer came without an OS disk.)
This same version was used to install the OS on a WD 500GB drive 2 years ago, on the same system, when the original drive failed.
Now, the WD drive is also showing signs of dying.

The new drive is a Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5"
It is recognised by BIOS, and the system disk check tool passes it.

I booted from the Vista DVD and ran through the installation.
All seems well -- file copying takes about 15-20 mins -- until it tries to reboot, when it gives the error message:
"Windows Setup could not configure Windows on this computer's hardware."
Re-rebooting just gives the same error.

Clues please? It is really frustrating to fall at the first hurdle.

(Incidentally, I have not modified the BIOS boot order, so I had to manually select the DVD from the F2/F12? boot menu, subsequent reboots were from HDD.
Should I have changed the boot order setting to DVD first in BIOS for the installation process?)

I did spend an evening trawling answers online, but mostly this message seems to occur with Windows 7, and I drew a blank.
So I really hope you can help me with this.
Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_Xircal_*

Guest_Xircal_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 12 May 2012 - 09:29 AM

Take a look at this Dell article which might provide a clue: http://support.dell.com/support/topics/topic.aspx/global/shared/support/hard_drive_support/hard-drive

Edited by Xircal, 12 May 2012 - 09:29 AM.

#3 D808Centaur

D808Centaur
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2012 - 11:32 AM

Hi Xircal.
Thank you for that link.
Kind-of useful, although it didn't provide the answer directly...

I downloaded a driver from Intel, found from a Microsoft Windows 7 page, installed it before setup and all seems well.

I'll come back and edit this posting in due course to more fully explain what I did, for the benefit of others.

Now have Vista running from new HDD!!

Edited by D808Centaur, 12 May 2012 - 05:39 PM.

#4 D808Centaur

D808Centaur
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:59 PM

Posted 12 February 2015 - 10:52 AM

My apologies for bumping this thread nearly three years after my last post, but I did say I would come back and tell people what I did!

The problem is that a 1TB drive uses Advanced Format technology, and the driver supplied with the Windows install disk does not support this.

Consequently you need to install a newer version of the driver BEFORE installing Windows.

1. Download the iaStor driver (in f6flpy-x86 for Vista 32bit) from the Intel RST driver page (see link below).

2. Extract and copy the driver files to a USB flashstick (or CD).

3. During installation, at screen "Where do you want to install Windows?", insert flash drive (or CD) and click the "Load Driver" control (bottom-right?)

4. Select the flash-stick/CD drive and the driver folder: the one suitable driver file will be listed.

5. Follow the instructions, and continue installation of Windows as normal.

The following links may be useful for further information:
Hope this helps...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users