Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop won't boot

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 MJ JB Mommy

MJ JB Mommy

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:00 PM

Posted 12 May 2012 - 08:24 AM

Been having 9 RootKit issues popping up on our Laptop found by the AVG scan for about a month now. I wanted to just do a complete Restore to get things running normally again. Problem is I have a huge amount of pics on there that are not backed up. Been trying to come up with a quick & easy way to do it.

Did a Google search the other day & read that I could use a Bridged USB-USB cable & transfer the pics to our PC. Went to Best Buy to get it & they told me that the Belkin Easy Transfer Cable would do it. Well, I attempted to run the thing last night (I don't think it was even doing what I wanted) and now the laptop will not boot at all. There was an error message (that I didn't write down) on it when I got up this morning & now all I get is a black screen with the arrow cursor on it.

I am really tempted to just do a Restore & lose my pics, but really don't want to.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MJ JB Mommy

MJ JB Mommy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2012 - 08:55 AM

I did just find a way to get into System Restore (by using ESC when powering on) and it will not do a Restore. I was having that trouble before this transfer issue.

#3 everready

everready

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:00 PM

Posted 12 May 2012 - 09:00 AM

Hello MJ JB Mommy,

If the laptop will not boot the Easy Transfer Cable will not do you any good. But, no need to lose all your photos, there are several ways to get the photos off that drive.

If you got a Windows reinstall disc, you can try to boot the laptop up with that disc and copy your pictures over to a USB drive using the command prompt.

Or, remove the hard drive from the laptop and connect to a second computer via a SATA /IDE to USB adapter. The adapter is a pretty cheap item at the local computer store.

Additionally, you could burn yourself a Linux boot disc, say KNOPPIX, and boot the laptop up with that disc. Then use the graphic interface in Knoppix to copy over the pictures to a USB drive.

If any of these methods sound good let us know, and we will help walk you through the process of saving your pictures. Then we can focus on restoring the laptop. Hope this helps.

#4 MJ JB Mommy

MJ JB Mommy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2012 - 09:01 AM

I get the following...

System restore did not complete successfully. Your computer's system files & settings were not changed.

Details:
System Restore failed to extract the original copy of the directory from the restore point.
Source: %SystemRoot%registration
Destination: ComPlusStaging

You can try System Restore again and choose a different restore point. If you continue to see this error, you can try an advanced recovery method. For more information see What is Recovery?

#5 MJ JB Mommy

MJ JB Mommy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2012 - 09:03 AM

No disks came with the Laptop. It will not do anything but run the programs that come up by pressing ESC. Can't run in Safe Mode either.

#6 MJ JB Mommy

MJ JB Mommy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2012 - 09:05 AM

Unfortunately I have to leave for my son's track meet right now.

I would be interested in pursuing the any of these if you think it will work. I live out in the country so anything I can do without driving 30+ miles to the nearest tech store would be great.

I know just enough about computers to be dangerous, but not enough to fix this obviously!

#7 everready

everready

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2012 - 09:23 AM

Hello MJ JB Mommy,

We will need to know the laptop manufacture, model, and serial number if it is handy. From that we can research what keys need to be press during boot to get that system into Advance menu options, BIOS, or the boot menu. Have fun at the track meet!

#8 MJ JB Mommy

MJ JB Mommy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2012 - 09:35 AM

Just heading out the door, but it's a Compaq CQ60-615DX Notebook SN 2CE9504XTR

I do need to add that we only have Dial Up too. :-(

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#9 everready

everready

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2012 - 12:48 PM

Hello again MJ JB Mommy,

Did a little research with the model and manufacture information supplied. Came up with this link on restoring your laptop from the HP web site

Restore the PC to its original condition using the f11 key if Windows 7 is not accessible

In the link it says that the f11 method will give you the option to backup your files before beginning the recovery. This sound like the easy method you were looking for to keep the pictures and restore the laptop. Although, I would feel better about using the f11 method if you already had a backup of the pictures.

You say you have some programs available when you press ESC during Boot. What options do you have?

Do you have these options?

(F1) System Information

(F2) System Diagnostics

(F7) HP SpareKey

(F9) Boot Device Options (F10) BIOS Setup

(F11) System Recovery for Consumer Notebooks

(F12) Network Boot (F12) Network Boot

If so then I see no way to get to the command prompt from there. f11 looks like your best choice. Let's see what a few other forums member think first though. Maybe someone has a better i method.

#10 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2012 - 01:32 PM

The F11 System recovery should have an option to backup data. I've used it on the similar HP models. It will back up to DVD(s), Flash Drive or External Drive. I've used DVDs and External drive with it.

You can always cancel out up until you start the actual recovery process. I hope this helps.

Good Luck
Roger

If you hit the case where it will backup but not recover there is still a workaround that could work. It involves a Bootable OS disk to transfer files and a matching Windows disk. What helps is that there is usually a SWSetup directory that has all the drivers and factory installed software in it.

Edited by rotor123, 12 May 2012 - 01:35 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#11 MJ JB Mommy

MJ JB Mommy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2012 - 06:48 PM

My problem with the back up is I have 40+ G of pictures. I have been slowly getting them transferred over to this PC, but it is a slow process with a 2G flash drive! That's why I wanted the transfer cable. I was trying to back up to disk and that wasn't working either. I kept getting errors because things weren't fitting.

#12 MJ JB Mommy

MJ JB Mommy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2012 - 06:58 PM

These are the choices when I press ESC at start up, but now I see you wanted me to press F11... gonna go try that!

(F1) System Information

(F2) System Diagnostics

(F9) Boot Device Options

(F10) BIOS Setup

(F11) System Recovery

#13 MJ JB Mommy

MJ JB Mommy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2012 - 07:08 PM

The forum won't let me post the picture from a thread on HP's forums that I found, but if you look at this thread, what I get when I press F11 is the same as the SECOND picture (the one with the arrow). http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Operating-Systems/Minimized-Image-Recovery/td-p/574257

#14 MJ JB Mommy

MJ JB Mommy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2012 - 08:14 PM

I tried using the backup option provided with the F11 options. It told me there was not enough room and errored out.

#15 MJ JB Mommy

MJ JB Mommy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2012 - 08:52 AM

Just bumping this up so I don't get forgotten. I really need to fix this issue. Computer does not work at all right now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users