Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Future Of The Internet Highway

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 igonuts2

igonuts2

• Members
  • 358 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 PM

Posted 26 February 2006 - 02:16 PM

Lately, i've just been reading and learning. But i read this at my local news site. Kinda like having a patent on electricity, or blocking the sale of "Tivo". Sound familiar?

The whole story: http://komonews.com/news/story.asp?ID=42072

Future Of The Internet Highway: Toll Booths Or More Lanes?

February 26, 2006

By KOMO Staff & News Services

SEATTLE - On the Internet, the traffic cops are blind - they don't look at the data they're directing, and they don't give preferential treatment.

That's something operators of the Internet highway, the major U.S. phone companies, want to change by effectively adding a toll lane: They want to be able to give priority treatment to those who pay to get through faster.

Naturally, consumer advocates and the Web companies that would be paying the toll are calling it highway robbery.

Mods; feel free to mod this post if needed. thx

Mod Edit: Post edited due to possible copywrite infringement. ~tg~

ty tg.

Edited by igonuts2, 26 February 2006 - 05:35 PM.

Why work when you can play!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:04 PM

Posted 26 February 2006 - 03:16 PM

Personally I think it would be a stupid idea. You'd have all the pirates, netwokr companies, etc... paying for it and distrubuting illegal files easier.

#3 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:04 PM

Posted 26 February 2006 - 03:42 PM

Hey igonuts2 long time no type. lol
Where ya been hidin? :thumbsup:

Umm.. you pay for a site to be up, bandwith etc. You pay for an internet connection.
Enough payment is paid already.

File this under: I don't think so. :flowers:

Edited by Scarlett, 26 February 2006 - 03:43 PM.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users