Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Recover External HD with Linux OS Installed, possibly broken.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Ariana Anora

Ariana Anora

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 AM

Posted 11 May 2012 - 08:28 PM

Hi,

I have a 1TB used external HD that I purchased online. It was already on its way out, but i was hopeing it would last a year before it died. In any even, that was a few months ago, and it's been slowly going, but nothing drastic - just slow sometimes, and clicking. But, then yesterday it got a bit of a beating :( , and now it looks different at start-up; it has symbols [question marks] (instead of a line border) surrounding the options for booting (Linux, Linus recovery, memory test, memory test serial). And nothing works except the memory tests, which do nothing for booting the computer up. - I try the first two (above the memory tests) and they either give me the error set the looks something like this: "error: out of disk (repeat multiple times) stack overflow detected!" (something something), and the second time it says something like "couldn't read file, initial ramdisk, you need to load kernel first", or they loop back around the the menu page.

I have a Bootmed CD that I've tried to use, but it doesn't see the external HD, so I cant use it to extract the files or fix anything else to do with it. What do I do to fix this problem :'( ? I'm writing a book and have my minecraft game and worlds on there :( . I can't buy anything, so if it requires purchasing something, then let me know, if if there are other options that I dont have to purchase, that would be prefered so I can start using my computer ASAP. thanks~!

Please change topic name: "Fix External HD with Linux OS Installed, or Recover it's data; HD possibly partially broken."

Edited by Ariana Anora, 11 May 2012 - 08:41 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,134 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 AM

Posted 12 May 2012 - 06:01 PM

As I understand you heard a lot of noise coming yesterday from the external drive. That was after
several weeks of of clicking and other signs of hdd failing. Also, you said the Linux Live CD would not
recognize the external drive.

If that is so, then I would say you now have a drive that only some expensive lab could hope to recover
any data from.

Is there an internal drive and is it bootable?
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 Ariana Anora

Ariana Anora
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 AM

Posted 12 May 2012 - 06:50 PM

There is no internal. I had to remove it as it was broken and interfering with my external HD during boot; things went alot faster after it's removal. It's still unusable and I have no idea where it is. Anyway, I just need my data. Can a disk or something free or cheap help me? The HD comes on, it just isnt recognized. I saw someone else was told to try a new USB port and/or chord, so would that possibly help?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users