Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista Business System Restore Unresponsive

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 SilverSage

SilverSage

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:09 PM

Posted 11 May 2012 - 05:15 PM

I don't know if the recent Vista security updates I applied have anything to do with this or if it might have been some software I installed. In any event, I was having some strange issues with iTunes and my wireless adapter drivers seeming to be conflicting so I decided to perform a system restore to see if that would fix the problem. Its been over 90 minutes and the only screen that has displayed states the following: "Please wait while your Windows files and settings are being restored. System Restore is initializing..." The circular activity indicator just left of the text on the screen is rotating and the disk is being accessed - a lot. I did notice a couple of error messages as System Restore was launching. They seemed to be related to a service or process that quit working, but the messages disappeared as the System Restore screen appeared.

System Restore has never taken this long, even on my antique desktop running XP. I'm tempted to turn the machine off and reboot but I don't want to run the risk of the machine not rebooting and having to perform a factory restore, not to mention losing months of very tedious work I've done and not having a backup. There seems to be no alternative to having to reboot, though, because the screen hasn't been updated in over 90 minutes and the machine hasn't rebooted, either.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks for any help.

[EDIT]
I got impatient and rebooted my machine. Luckily, System Restore never fully initiated (system Restore error window appeared after I booted into safe mode) so I did no harm. I did look through my event logs and noticed some MCP Driver Class critical errors. Is there anyone on this forum versed in event logs?

Edited by SilverSage, 11 May 2012 - 06:03 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,568 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:09 PM

Posted 11 May 2012 - 06:25 PM

Errors...or warnings/information items?

If the latter, those can probably be ignored.

If they are noted as errors, follow the steps for looking at the underlying detail for each, as outlined at How To Use Event Viewer - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic40108.html .

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users